22

The shuttle opened the hatch at 150,000 feet. Kita turned to her two pets waiting in their cages behind the life support barrier. Their cages would open automatically for them when the shuttle landed. Blowing each a kiss, she sprinted down the ramp. Jumping, she opened her wings enough to gain control. She looped upward, rolled, and dove for the ground.

Keeping her wings in tight, she raced toward the ground at a steep angle. An orange and yellow halo appeared. The halo burst into an open flame. She left a fiery trail behind her.

The islands grew bigger. She changed course slightly as she selected a target.

***

"Look!" said Snowy.

"A meteor? That's all we need," Paladin grumped, firing his tank barrel.

"I bet it's," Snowy fired her rifle, "not any ol' meteor," she said with her first smile in days.

"Kita?"

"I don't know anyone else who'd want to make that big an entrance."

Kita streaked overhead and impacted on the next island over.

***

Kita struck with as much force as she could. Anything underneath her disintegrated before impact. Kita landed on a Red Legion command center. I might as well decapitate my enemy to add to my grand entrance.

Streaking out of the cloud, Kita burst into flame and smashed through a gunship. Flying to the next gunship, she pried open the cockpit and tossed the crew out then set the gunship down gently.

Bullets peppered the gunship. Kita shook her head and waggled a finger at her attackers. Jumping, she landed amongst them. Humming happily, she dispatched the group with Dawn and Dusk. Her flames turned white. She flew down the line of enemy troops just over their heads, leaving fifteen yards bare and slightly melted rock. She incinerated two miles of the enemy's front line.

Dousing herself, she landed on the top of a tank. Prying open the hatch, she pulled out the commander.

"Excuse me, you're in my tank," she giggled breaking his neck.

Tossing the body aside, she climbed inside. A shot rang out, then two more bodies flew out the hatch. Climbing out, Kita watched a bullet hole in her side close.

A tank nearby fired at her with its main gun. She comically spun, stopping with the round in her hand. She phased to the top of the tank. Opening the hatch, she imbedded the tank round into the commander's head. The driver's hatch opened. The two crewmen jumped out and run. Kita threw a star then drew Midnight. The star slice through the first man. Firing her arrow, she struck the star redirecting it into the throat of the second man.

Kita continued her crusade against the enemy line, disabling tanks and gunships, and fighting groups of infantry. For fun, she would glide into the air and throw a body at the troops below. When she discovered the infantry came with grenades, she'd pull the pins and then throw the body.

When she'd cleared half the island, she went to check on the Arconians. Lazily flying across the grass plain between the jungle and volcano slope, something struck her and she tumbled to the ground. She stood and dusted herself off. The wound in her side and back matched the one Anthrax received. The pain came, but she shrugged it off. The marksman better be on the mainland.

Appearing from behind a rise, a pair of Demon clones clanked toward her. They were bigger than the original. Well, whoever's making these things is at least learning.

Kita sprinted into a series of handsprings. Performing a simple layout, she sailed over the head of the first demon. She grabbed a long horn coming from the top of its helmet. She swung around. The head twisted backward and the neck cracked. The demon collapsed.