25

A line of injured Black Watch soldiers and Sarin stood against a wall waiting for a turn with Tina. The rest of the Black Watch was in the practice ring or waiting their turn. Moving like a tornado, Kita tossed her opponents around the ring like playthings.

Kita bowed out to let another group get some practice. Snowy put her arms around her.

"You know, kitten, it's not good if you completely break your side."

"Why, you want a go?"

"What's the stakes?"

"Loser has to do whatever the winner wants."

"That could be good or bad," Snowy mused. "You're on."

Kita called for the mat to be cleared.

Tina's line evaporated and she drifted over to watch. Sarin and Anthrax sat with her.

"You every see them go at it?" said Anthrax.

Tina shook her head. "Snowy's never been a match for Kita unless she caught Kita by surprise. Only Zidin has beaten her in the ring."

"Guess we're in for a show." Anthrax grinned.

Sarin frowned. "I hope they don't hurt each other."

Tina raised an eyebrow at Sarin. "Don't worry I'll patch them up."

Kita and Snowy lined up across from each other. Kita drew Dusk and Dawn and spun them. Snowy snapped out her claws and electrified them. With a grin, Kita's swords burst into flame. They looked at each other, than charged.

They sprinted forward and jumped at each other. Meeting in midair, sparks and flames flashed as the pair twisted around each other. Catching Kita's swords in her claws, Snowy changed direction and flipped Kita over her. Kita slammed into the mat. Kita windmilled to her feet.

Snowy struck Kita's side with her back claws leaving a trail of smoking scratch marks. Pushing off, Snowy tucked into a tight vertical summersault. She landed on Kita's back, driving in both sets of claws. Snowy cranked up the voltage and smoke rose from Kita.

Crying out in pain, Kita knocked Snowy off with a wing. Kita rolled away and to her feet. She phased to the other side of the ring. Snowy appeared behind Kita and struck with her claws. Kita blocked, and before Snowy's other hand connected, Kita phased. Snowy phased after her.

Kita phased around the mat looking for Snowy. Snowy appeared above her. Kita jumped to meet her. She didn't recoil when Snowy's back claws slashed her. She grabbed Snowy around the waist, while suffering Snowy's claws. Kita changed directions and drove Snowy into the mat. Kita glided upward. Snowy phased. Kita phased to the other side of the room and Snowy appeared above Kita.

Snowy grabbed Kita's wings, pulled her over backward, and threw her toward the ground. Kita landed with a crunch as a wing dislocated. Kita rolled as Snowy came down where she had been. Whipping her legs, Kita knocked Snowy to the mat. Rolling over backward into a handstand, Kita threw herself into the air. Flying over the top of Snowy, she slashed and stabbed in a bloody flurry.

Snowy flipped herself to her feet. Grinning savagely, she pointed her claws at Kita. Long bolts of lightning shot across the room. Kita shrieked and fell to her knees rocking in pain. In desperation, Kita extended her heat shield. Engulfing Snowy, The shield pasted over Snowy without leaving a mark.

Bloody moons. Is everyone immune to my heat? When did Snowy become this powerful? I refuse to lose.

Snarling, Kita struggled against the lightning to stand. Holding out her hand, a gray sphere appeared around Snowy and the lightning stopped. Thank the gods.