1

The clamshell back of the shuttle opened as it passed into the atmosphere.

"When the light goes green you're free to jump," said a synthesized voice.

"How high are we?"

"We just passed 150,000 feet."

"Awesome. I'll see you on the ground."

"Dammit Kita, wait!"

Kita didn't wait. She sprinted down the ramp. At the edge, she jumped. She folded her wings to match the shuttle's rate of decent, waved to the shuttle, then rolled over and dove.

***

Kita raced toward the circular green and blue island continent floating on the molten planet. For fun, she tucked her wings in and picked up speed. Heat from the friction of the atmosphere formed a red and orange halo around her. I'm a living meteor...I wonder what I should land on?

The ground came closer and familiar landmarks began to appear. Kita opened her wings slightly to increase drag, and the halo faded. Far above her, she could make out two dots gaining on her. She slowed even more, and the pair of Angels fell in behind her.

The trio raced toward a volcanic archipelago out in the eastern ocean. The five volcanoes towered over the sea. Black rivers of lava running to the sea cut through the tropical forests ringing the coastal areas. Numerous humble settlements dotted the islands.

The trio pulled up just above the water, turning toward a port town on the largest island. As the crossed from sea to land they climbed higher. As the ground raced by, people stopped to stare and point. The trio left the town behind and spiraled up the steep slopes of the island's volcano. At the top, they turned toward the next island.

In a tight formation, they slalomed between the volcanoes. Reaching the last volcano they streaked up the side and flew back into the clouds.

***

On the slope of the tiniest volcano, Zidin sat on a rock with Sarge at his feet. He looked up from sharpening his giant sword, Great White, and watched as the trio of Angels flew by. The trailing pair he didn't know, but he recognized the leader, only Kita had black wings. He put away his sharpening stone and stood. The war cat let out a series of happy chuffs.

Zidin bent down and scratched the cat's ears. "I'm glad you saw her too, Sarge. She's been away far too long, but it looks like she's returned with a flock. Come, we must tell the people your mistress is back."

***

Kita and her companions reached the apex of their climb high above the clouds. Kita slowed, stalled, rolled over, and dove. Her followers mimicked the maneuver and the trio raced toward a barely visible coastline.

The city of Leadings came into view. From above five major avenues crisscrossed the city. A large keep surrounded by a high, thick wall stood in the center of the city.

The trio pulled up a few feet above the water and raced across the bay toward the port. They chased each other through the congested ship traffic. The ships flying the Red Legion's colors went on alert. Sailors ran to weapons mounted on the rails and started to fire. The trio swerved, rolled, and laughed their way through the hail of bullets.

Kita angled toward a small patrol craft with two small weapons firing at her. She drew Dawn, a katana, and Dusk, a wakizashi, and burst into flame. Steam rolled off the water as she dropped inches from the water. She struck just aft of the wheelhouse. Flammable objects exploded as she flew over. The molecularly perfect blades sliced the craft into three parts.