Chapter 17: Newly You

Your P.O.V

"Get off of me! This is an expensive overcoat!"

I furrowed my brows at the new voice, but still nonetheless kept trying to pry the women's hands off of Dazai's collar.

"Did you implant iron into your knuckles?" I muttered, making a face as I continued to try to free him.

The woman nodded, smiling sweetly as I continued to struggle.

"Seriously?" I asked, my grip listened slightly for a moment at the surprise of her responding seriously to my lighthearted question.

"Just for situations like this." The woman answered, grinning.

"I don't want to know what kind of life you live, nor do I ever want to." I mumbled, working on trying to pull her fingers away from Dazai's coat.

He was beginning to breathe weirdly, and at that moment I realised that I needed to come up with something. Because, this obviously wasn't working.

After thinking for a moment, I carefully swept my leg out held my breath expectantly, waiting.

As I had hoped, I felt her hands come loose as she fell to the ground, letting Dazai go. In this time, he pulled me away, crouching down with me a few feet away as he held me so I didn't trip.

She looked slightly annoyed, her hand going over her ankle in quick circles. But I tore my attention away from her and looked at Dazai.

I joked to him in a small voice, "I would say thank you. But I guess it really should be the opposite right now, yeah?".

"You'll get another chance, trust me."

The door burst open, making all three of us look over. Akutagawa's voice was heard first, "Shut up, I don't care about your jacket!"

He pulled two other figures in roughly, earning another chorus of replies from the one. When he got quiet, I noticed that they'd both started to stare at me.

I snuck a glance at Dazai, who was staring at the two men Akutagawa had brought in.

"She was telling the truth?" I mumbled confusedly, looking at the ground and absentmindedly playing with my hair.

"Hey!" Akutagawa walked up to me quickly and snapped his fingers in my face, leaving the two behind to stare.

I looked up at him, surprised. Then I felt Dazai's arm snake around my shoulder as he gave my arm a light squeeze.

"What's going on?" I asked quietly, staring at Akutagawa, returning his blank stare.

He didn't say anything, but let out a sharp short laugh instead.

Akutagawa crouched down so he was eye level with me and sent me a small sarcastic smile.

"You're a bit denser than I remember, Y/N." Akutagawa mused, shaking his head and standing up.

I let out a sigh and cleared my throat.

"I would comment back, but I don't remember much about you. And I don't think to call you an asshole would be very nice." I hinted, smiling tightly.

Akutagawa raised his brows momentarily before looking away.

I snuck a glance behind him, where I was met with the boring gaze of the blonde haired man that Akutagawa had brought in.

The woman sneered, disgust practically radiating off of her.

I started to get up, but Dazai tightened his grip on my shoulder.