Chapter 8: The Bay Mafia

"Ah," Dazai let himself fall on the sofa.

"What? We weren't even at the shooting range that long." He sat up slowly and passed me a bored look.

"Whatever. I'm long overdue for a nap anyway." He exhaled deeply, letting himself fall back into a laying position.

I turned on my heel, calling back, "Right. Well, I'll be in my room if you need me."

"Wait, I need you to stay. I want to talk to you about something." I stopped, turning around and giving him a slightly annoyed look.

He noticed and told me, "It'll only take 5 minutes."

I sighed and turned around before slowly going over and sitting next to Dazai.

"Why do you look like you just swallowed a rat?"

"That's rude."

"Have you met me?"

I let out a laugh and Dazai did the same. His laugh was very loud, very clear as well.

He must have read my mind or something because he complimented me on my seemingly comforting laugh. I thanked him and laughed again.

He met my eye and smiled. "Now, I need to ask you a couple of things, and I want you to answer honestly, okay?"

His joking attitude had diminished in a matter of seconds, giving him a well rounded image.

I let my thoughts be and snapped back into reality.

"Fine, fine. Go ahead." Dazai nodded.

"Have you lived here your whole life?"

I thought for a moment, "No. I moved here when I was probably around 17." I stopped and thought for a second, slightly unsure that my answer was correct.

"Where did you live before?" He asked, leaning closer in anticipation to hear my answer.

"I don't remember the name of the city I lived in before, but I do have a couple memories from then."

"What memories?" I bit my lip and looked at my hands.

"I remember seeing something on the news a lot. It was like, a group, I think. It was a company or something?" I trailed off in thought.

"What do you mean?"

"I think it had something to do with the main port, a group with the port." I mused quietly, staring into space as I went deeper in thought.

"The port mafia?" Dazai asked instantly, sitting up and resting his chin on his hands.

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure that's it." I answered, looking up at him.

"I think I remember something else, someone, I think—" Dazai cut me off, a thoughtful look taking over his features.

He stared into space, waving me off, "It's ok. I don't have any more questions."

I gave him a quizzical look, but sighed and retreated to my room without much further question.