Chapter 4: The Knock

A knock on my door startled me awake, and one after another just seemed to just irritate me more.

"I'm coming! Stop knocking!" I groaned.

"If this is Jung, he better have a something good." I muttered, stumbling out of bed, through the living room, and to the door.

I grabbed the door handle and pulled open the door to see the same man from earlier starting to walk away.

I blinked, trying to make sense of the blur that had turned around.

"Dazai, was it?" I squinted. He turned around to face me.

The figure did an action similar to nodding, I honestly couldn't really tell.

When my vision cleared, and I was fully awake, Dazai walked up to me and stopped in front of me.

"So, what do you want?" I said groggily.

"Oh, um, well you see, this isn't the right city, I can't find the detective agency anywhere. What's this city called?" He asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Tokyo." I answered, rubbing my eyes.

He groaned

"What?" I asked curiously, lowering my hand to my side.

"Nothing. I was hoping I could possibly stay here for the night, if anything I'll leave tomorrow morning." Dazai asked, staring at me.

"Yeah, um I guess so. I have shooting lessons tomorrow around 12, though." I answered.

"Oh. I don't even remember the last time I held a gun." He mumbled under his breath.

He added, "Do you mind if I came with you?"

"Um," I pursed my lips in thought.

"Sure, just try not to touch anything. No offense, but you don't look like you're a person who's ever held and or shot a gun ever."

He put his hands up.

"No touching anything." I yawned and opened the door.

"Don't mind the mess. I was going to make something to eat when I woke up at whatever time, but I guess I can make something now." Dazai nodded and shut the door behind him.

I walked into the kitchen and noticed Dazai had positioned himself on the small blue couch, his shoes off on the tray by the door.

I smiled, pleased at his noticeable manners.

I sighed and opened the fridge

"Chicken? no, that needs to be thawed. Leftovers? I don't know when they're from." I muttered to myself for a good 10 minutes, in which all of Dazai
hadn't moved, less looked somewhere else besides out the window.

I dished out Mac and Cheese into 2 small bowls and put them in the microwave one at a time.

When they were both done, I placed one in front of Dazai, and made my way to my small kitchen table. I sighed.

"Y'know, it feels pretty lonely here normally, but it feels more lonely now that someone else is here, but not talking." He nodded in understanding.

"Right. I'm sorry." Dazai looked me in the eye and squinted.

I stabbed the noodles with my fork absently mindedly as the silence carried on a bit more.

"Did you work at a pet store?" I looked up and passed him an odd look.

"Um, yeah. How did you know? I don't have anything animal related in my apartment at all." He shrugged and shoved a big forkful into his mouth.

"It's a game I play with my my friends at the agency." He said, his voice muffled by the food in his mouth.

He gave another longing look outside. I sighed.

"If theres anything I can do to help with your, situation, just let me know." I said, getting up to put my dish in the sink.

"You're not nervous." Dazai said suddenly, looking over at me.

"Hm?" I looked at him.

"When we met, you were nervous, but now you aren't." He clarified

"Oh, um, well believe me, I still am nervous. I've never had anyone sleepover at my apartment besides Jung-" I stopped and looked at my dish in the sink. I shook my head lightly and turned around to face him.

"I don't really want to cry in front of you, so goodnight." I said quickly, walking in the direction of my room.

"It's only 7:30!" He called. I shut my door and flopped on my bed.

Dazai was right. It still was early, I can't go to sleep after a nap, anyways.

I picked up my phone and notifications for missed calls and messages flooded my screen

All from Jung. Apologizing mostly, but some of them were related to my birthday.

My door opened and Dazai stood in the doorway.

"Yeah?" I asked softly, my eyes pricking with tears.

"I remembered something when I was on my way here." He smiled thoughtfully.

I hummed in response, wiping my eyes.

"I picked this up befire I came, to give to you." He held out a small cupcake, which was no doubt from the convenience store down in the lobby of my apartment building.

He added, "Sorry it's not much, I don't carry much money on me when I'm going to fight the Mafia."

I gave him a brief strange look, but ultimately decided to brush what he had said off of my mind as he threw me a small smile.

"Thank you." I smiled back, and wiped a stray tear cascading down my face..

"Despite the strange situation, it means a lot."

EDITED: 6/19/17

Edited again on: 10/15/17

edited again again on 1/4/18

.ekrJsheajit4hBAERIUGB WHY DID I CAPITALISE MAC AND CHEESE WHAT THE FUCK