Chapter 15

Maddock twirled his sword around his fingers and readied himself too.

The battle was short and Bella couldn't see much from behind the crowd of pirates who had pushed past her. Occasionally, she heard a grunt of pain or a clashing of metal on metal. When she finally did squeeze through the others, Kell was on the ground, bleeding, his sword to far away to grasp. Maddock placed his boot onto of Kell's chest, "Not so sure of yourself now, are you?"

The First Mate chuckled and raised his sword above the former Captain before bringing it down forcefully. Bella could hear the sound of the sword piercing Kell's body and the squelch it made when Maddock pulled it loose. Kell was still alive, but barely. The hole in his chest bled quickly, and it wouldn't be long, he was already gasping for breath as his lungs filled with blood.

As two of the pirates carried him over to the railing, Bella could see the accusing stare in his eyes as he looked dead at her before being tossed into the rolling waves to be lost forever. That look though, that look would stick with Bella for the rest of her life.

After Captain Kell had fallen victim to the waves, none of the pirates really seemed to know what to do. Maddock was the one who took charge. His first act as Captain pinning Quartermaster Berkeley against the cabin wall.

"You knew." Maddock spat, "He trusted you the most, you must have known!"

Berkeley stayed silent which only infuriated Maddock all the more, "Take him to the cells!"

None of the pirates moved to obey until Maddock flashed his pistol at them. Then they tied Berkeley's hands together and led him down into the hold. Once he was secured in one of the musty cells, the pirates came up on the deck to listen to Maddock.

"I am your Captain now." He shouted above the roaring of the waves, "Does anyone have a problem with that?"

No one did.

"Good." Maddock continued, "We sail for Perfi in the morning! Get some rest tonight."

One of the deckhands spoke up, "Sir? Sorry to interrupt, but who's going to be our Quartermaster?"

Maddock looked faintly annoyed with the question, but his eyes fell on Bella and he smiled, "This little lass can be our Quartermaster. Teach her the ropes and I'm sure she'll do fine."

The men seemed a little put out that he had elected Bella, she was only thirteen after all, but the truth was he just wanted someone he could control and Bella seemed easy enough.

Bella, on the other hand, was overjoyed. Her, Quartermaster? It seemed unthinkable. But Maddock seemed set on it so she agreed.

"Get some sleep, little lass, you have a big day tomorrow." Maddock told her, walking her back down to the galley where she curled up in her nest of blankets and drifted off.