Chapter 4

The hot sun bore down on Bella as she dipped her wooden brush into the bucket of seawater and returned to forcefully scrubbing the deck. Dawn broke an hour ago, taking the cool air with it, and now the sunlight burned her soft skin. The men around her all had browned skin from working in these kinds of conditions but Bella wasn't used to hard labor in the sun. Despite this, she was determined to do well and didn't complain.

They had hoisted the anchor a while ago, but the wind was bad so they only made it a little ways off the coast. Two other merchant ships trailed behind them, catching their wake and splinting it off into three. Captain Kell stood astern, his arms crossed and his face turned coldly out to the sea. He seemed to have no love for the waves, a man trapped in a position he detested.

On the other hand, Quartermaster Barkley strode across the decks, checking ropes and sails, urging the sailors on with enthusiasm. A fierce light in his eyes glowed and showed his love for the crystal clear waters. He barked his orders, but he guided with gentle hands. He aimed a warning look at Bella as she stared at him and she quickly returned to work, trying to avoid getting splinters in her thinly-clothed knees.

A few hours later, only one ship sailed behind them, the other having split off towards the east. Captain Kell stepped down from his post and commanded the men to slow the Lady of the Sea. Bella paused her work in confusion, why were they slowing down?

"Hey, what is the Captain doing?" She asked the other cabin boy who scrubbed beside her.

The boy glanced up from his work, "You don't know? We gotta choose a ship to attack eventually. This 'un's as good as any."

Bella frowned, "Attack?" but the boy had returned to scrubbing.

Soon, the other merchant ship drew alongside them and a voice cried out, hailing them.

"Are you alright?"

Captain Kell grinned, "Just fine, thank ye." He raised his hand and the cabin boy beside her braced himself on the side of the ship. Bella just stood confused, so when the Captain dropped his hand and the cannons below deck boomed, she was sent tumbling across the deck.

The cannon balls shattered holes into the side of the merchant ship and Bella caught sight of the gold lettering reading the Golden Fig split down the middle. A great cry rose up from the Fig, and the sailors, no, she realised, pirates, cheered. Several of the deckhands tossed grappling hooks into the Fig's yard, jumping over the Lady's side and swinging on the ropes to the other side. They reminded her of the circus performers she had once seen at school.

A hand grasped her shoulder harshly and she glanced behind her to see Barkeley pulling her below decks. He shoved her down the hatch and sharply whispered, "Stay down here." before slamming the trapdoor. She tried to peer out of the small, barred window, but all she could see were feet dashing too and fro. She could hear swords clashing and return cannon fire; the Gentle Fig would not go easy.

A frightened tear slid down her face. What had she gotten into?