Chapter 17

Bella and Geoffrey rowed a small boat over to the shore the next day in hopes of rescuing Maddock. None of the other pirates had wanted to come, they didn't have the loyalty to, so they were alone. Bella barely even noticed her sea legs or the sights around her, she was focused on getting to the stone tower where Maddock was locked up.

It was by chance, or some random karma, that they ended up in the town square. Smack-dab in the middle of the square was where the people of Perfi did their executions. When Bella was passing the line of prisoners, one caught her eye. She almost called out, but Geoffrey had seen Maddock too and covered her mouth before she could make any noise. He dragged her towards the center of the crowd that was gathering to watch to hide them better. As soon as he was sure they had not been noticed, he removed his hand.

Bella had tears in her eyes, 'Geoffrey, we have to help him!"

Geoffrey shook his head, "I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do, little lass."

"Don't call me that! If you won't do anything, then I will!" She stomped her foot pettily and began to walk towards the line of men. Before she got more than two steps, Geoffrey grabbed her and prevented her from moving or screaming out. All she could do was struggle as Maddock was brought up to stand below the noose. She thrashed against the arms holding her and even bit Geoffrey's hand, but to no avail. She was in too tight a grip.

Maddock's eyes locked on her's, surprise showing on his face, then warning. Tears were now streaming freely down Bella's cheeks as the executioner tightened the noose around Captain Maddock's neck. Geoffrey was roughly jerked away from Bella and she began to scream, drawing the crowd's attention.

Another set of hands wrapped around her mouth and a familiar voice whispered, "Don't look." into her ear. But she couldn't not look. She saw the whole thing. The executioner throwing the lever, Maddock falling down, heard the sharp crack of his neck breaking. She saw the same vacant glaze in his eyes that she had seen on Captain Kell's. Another gaze that would haunt her dreams.

Most of the crowd had dispersed when the arms finally let go of her and she dropped to the cobblestone street in tears. A hand gently stroked her shoulder and she turned to see who it was.

It was Berkeley. He looked clean-shaven with fresh clothes that weren't stiff with salt and ripped from gales of wind. On his right breast was a pin, a Captain's pin from the Royal Navy. A thing Bella had always wanted.

Berkeley saw her staring at it and said, "I had some words with our recruiters, they'd be glad to take you on. Bella, you can have you dream."

Bella looked blankly at him, "I don't want it anymore."