Chapter 8

Night fell over the ship, the cooling air feeling nice against Bella's sweaty skin. She had been assigned to scrubbing the deck again and had spent the whole day making sure the wood was sparkling clean. Or at least as clean as it could be. Now, the ship gently rocked back and forth as she headed back to the galley to help Jeff with dinner. Two of the pirates had caught fish that afternoon and Jeff told her he would teach her to fry them. She was excited to learn, being in the galley was the only part of the pirate ship that she was sure she would miss. 

Jeff taught with a gentle hand, but he was stern when he had to be. It took them about two hours to cook the meal and, by then, they had sailors knocking on the door demanding food. Jeff would yell profanities at them and wave his large chopping knife and they would leave. When the food had been placed on platters, Bella carried them out to the mess room one at a time and then the last of the coffee. After she scoffed down some food, Jeff shoved a plate full of the best bits in her hand and a cup of steaming coffee in the other.

"Take that to the Captain, then you can get to bed." 

Eager to sleep, I trotted over to the Captain's cabin, my legs now used to the roll of the ship. I hadn't gotten sea sick  and that I was grateful for. 

When I reached the cabin door, I knocked with my foot but received no answer. Shrugging I pushed the door open and blinked my eyes to get used to the dimness. Captain Kell was sitting on the cot in the corner of the room and I could faintly hear him muttering something under his breath. 

"Captain Kell?" I called quietly, "I have your food."

His head jerked up at an alarming speed when he heard my voice, his black eyes shining like beetles. He stood up and strode over to me, casting the plate onto the desk and dragging me over to the only chair, planting me down in it. Terrified by the suddenness of it all, I sat there quietly. 

"Bella. It is Bella, right?" His head was tilted and his eyes squinted. I nodded.

"Bella, I need you on my side." His head turned towards the door as if looking for eavesdroppers. He then leaned in close, too close for my comfort, and whispered in my ear, "They know."

I kept my mouth shut, unsure of what to do, scared that he would harm me in some way. His greasy fingers tangled into my sleeve as he finally leaned back and said in a more conversational tone, "I need you to be my eyes and ears on this ship. There are traitors aboard and they would kill me and you if they had the chance."

I shivered and he stood, "But never mind that. Only... tell me if you hear anything suspicious. You are on my side, right?" His eyes flashed dangerously.

I nodded quickly.

"Good, lass, now go back to the galley and get to bed. We have a big day tomorrow!"

Please remember to vote and comment! It means so much to me!

Much love, Max.