Chapter 3

The clothes Jeff dug out of a drawer were soft and made of warm linen. Bella quickly changed into the beige pants and white shirt before going back into the kitchen where Jeff was chopping tomatoes for a thick soup that boiled in a pot over the small fireplace.

"We won't have hot meals once we get out to sea," The cook explained, dumping the tomato cubes into the soup with his grimy hands, "So this is sort of a last treat for the men. Why don't you cut up those leeks?" He pointed to the greenish-white bulbs.

Bella grabbed one of the littler knifes and began slicing. She had never cooked at all before and she was excited to try. Jeff was nice, directing her with a gentle word on what to do. She hoped she'd be allowed to help in the Galley often. Soon, the soup was finished, and Jeff told her to bring it out to the sailors. She had to take three trips. One carefully carrying the still-steaming pot above deck where the sailors sat resting and the other two to carry bowls and water. It was now dusk outside, the setting sun spreading an orange and pink glow across the darkening sky. The sailors grunted their thanks when she doled out the food, some of them throwing her odd glances. She even heard a red haired man whisper, "A girl! What is the Captain thinking?"

Bella ignored the murmurs as she handed a piping hot bowl to Berkeley, giving him a wide smile. He looked back at her impassively, but she could have sworn that he winked at her while she loaded up a tray to take to the Captain.

She nudged the cabin door open with her hip and quietly entered the dark room. Captain Kell was still siting at his desk, but this time he was staring intently at something cupped in his hands. Bella couldn't quite make the object out, but she caught sight of a flash of bright green when the Captain noticed her and hurriedly put the ite, away in one of his pockets.

"What is is, girl?" He barked at her.

Bella flinched back at his harsh tone but answered with a steady voice, "I brought you food, sir. Fresh from the Galley."

The Captain scoffed and motioned for her to set the tray carefully on the edge of the desk. She did so and as she turned to leave, the Captain's hand flew out and gripped her wrist tightly. She couldn't help but wince at the harsh drag of his long, dirty fingernails on her arm.

"Girl, what you saw there..." He paused, a dangerous glint in his eyes. A glint Bella recognized.

"I didn't see anything, sir."

Captain Kell nodded and released her arm, "Good lass. Now be gone with you!"

Bella practical fled out the door. 

Sorry, this one's a bit short. It would have been longer, but I couldn't think of anything to add. If you enjoyed, please leave a comment or vote! It really means a lot to me :)