Chapter 10

Sorry, this one isn't as good, but I did update twice in one day! And as always, don't forget to vote and comment! :)

Much love, Max

Once Jeff's lifeless body had been hoisted overboard and left for fish food, Bella crept back to her nest of blankets in the galley, tears still silently streaming down her pale face. Although she had only known him for three days, Jeff had already become something of a father figure to her. He taught her lots of things, like how to cook and clean for the crew. He was jovial and could make her laugh anytime. And now he was gone.

Berkeley had landed the fatal blow. She couldn't believe that she had trusted him, he had already deceived her once and now he killed her only friend! She felt a burning hatred rising in her for the Quartermaster. But she couldn't find it in her to fully be mad, she was to busy grieving for the loss of the cook. She curled up underneath the counter and cried her eyes out all night long, only stopping once she had run out of tears to give.

~~~~~

Bella woke when a burly hand shook her roughly.

"Get up." A gruff voice said, grabbing her arm and lifting her to her feet. Bella stumbled out of sleepiness, but quickly regained her footing when she saw that it was the Captain.

"Oh, uh, what can I do for you?" She asked, trembling. He had just given the order to kill a man after all and it didn't hurt to be cautious.

"You'll be making the food from now on." Kell said bluntly and began to leave. Bella grabbed his sleeve.

"Wait! I can't cook!"

"You'll figure it out." The Captain replied, shaking his sleeve loose and turning away, "Breakfast is expected in an hour."

Bella stood there in shock. How was she supposed to make breakfast for a whole crew on her own? She didn't even know any recipes.

She took a deep breath and tried to focus on the task ahead. It couldn't be too hard, right? She decided to take a look at the larder and see what they had.

~~~~~

Two hours later and she had a half-decent meal ready to serve. It was only a thin soup with leeks, and onions, and some unidentifiable meat, but she had made it all on her own. She gave herself a nod of satisfaction as she carried the first tray down to the mess room. The pirates were eager to eat and soon they had scarfed up most of the food. Bella had been sure to set aside a bowl for the captain and one for herself before taking the soup out. She poured some water into a mug and carried a second tray over to the Captain's quarters.

Once again she knocked with her foot and once again there was no answer. Instead of waiting on a reply, she nudged the door open with her hip and entered.

Captain Kell was asleep on his cot, snoring softly. Bella set the food down on the desk, but as she turned to leave, she caught a flash of green on the desk. She walked over to get a better look and the green shimmer reflected on her face as she gaped at the objects in wonder.