Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The room behind the door was dim, the dusky light outside barely filtering in through the single window overlooking the sea. There was a small candle siting on the desk situated at the back of the room, the thin flame throwing large shadows on burled walls. A man sat at the desk scribbling on a piece of parchment with a pointed quill. He sported an impressive brown beard with two braids twisted together in the middle of it. His hair was long and his eyes beady dark pits. Bella had never seen someone so intimidating.

The man's eyes flicked up and landed on Barkeley.

"What is it?" He snapped, his voice harsh and rough.

"New cabin boy, sir." Barkeley replied, gesturing to Bella.

The Captain peered at her for a second, "That's a girl."

Barkeley shrugged his shoulders. "Well, yes. But she was eager enough."

Captain Kell frowned, "She'd be bad luck, don't you know that?"

"Sir, with all due respect, are we not above such superstition?" Barkeley asked.

Bella looked up at him. Why was he trying so hard to get her a position on this ship?

The Captain sighed and stroked his beard with his right hand, "I suppose so. But you'll be the one to show her the ropes, I can't spare anyone else."

Berkeley nodded, "Yes, sir. She won't let you down, I'm sure of it."

Bella nodded vigorously too. The Captain looked dubiously at her and motioned for them to leave.

Outside, the eighteen crewmen of the Lady of the Sea loaded supplies below deck. Bella watched as the ragged-looking me carried crate after crate into the bowels of the ship. Berkeley nudged her shoulder, "Come on. I'll show you to the Galley quickly, but then I have to go help the men."

Bella followed him below decks, sliding by the sailors with small apologies. Barkeley had to duck under several low beams, but Bella was just the right height to navigate the hold. Several steps later, they went through an opening and into what appeared to be a tiny kitchen. The Galley.

A stout man sat on a bolted down chair in the corner whistling at some wood with a carving knife. The head of a horse peeked out at the top but the rest was just a block. He looked up and put the knife down as Berkeley and Bella walked in.

"Quartermaster Berkeley." He said with a nod, pronouncing it Bar-clay. "And who might this be?"

"This is Bella, she's the new cabin boy. I thought she could help you while I get the ship loaded up properly.." Berkeley turned to Bella, "Bella, this is Jeff. He's our...cook."

Jeff huffed at Berkeley's hesitation before his role, "And a damn good one to."

Berkeley raised his hands passively before turning around and leaving. Bella stood before the cook with her arms crossed in front of her. She was still dressed in the rags she had put on to sneak out of her school and Jeff looked her up and down with a grimace on his face.

"First things first, let's get you some proper clothes."

If you enjoyed, please consider leaving a comment or vote! Tell me what you think of Bella's character so far!