Chapter 6

Berkeley left Bella standing in shock on the main deck, staring out at the sinking ship that they had just intercepted. Pirates walked to and fro around her, carrying boxes of supplies that they had taken from the Gentle Fig down into the hold. She caught sight of a chest being brought directly to the Captain's cabins and she decided to follow it. The man carrying it had been introduced to her as the First Mate, but she did not yet know his name. He knocked on the door with his foot and she heard Captain Kell shout, "Come in!"

The First Mate had yet to notice Bella, so she slipped in the door after him, ducking behind the cot so Kell and the First Mate couldn't see her. The man only dropped the chest beside the Captain's desk, she could hear it jangle as it hit the planks, and immediately turned to leave. However, as he was opening the door, he caught sight of Bella and lunged towards her, grabbing her sleeve and dragging her out into the open.

"What are you doing here?" The First Mate asked roughly. Bella couldn't answer she was trembling so much, but the Captain gestured for the First Mate to set her down.

"She's a little girl, Maddock, she couldn't harm me." Kell reasoned. As Maddock let go, Bella stumbled back and brushed the grime off of her sleeve.

Captain Kell nodded at Maddock, "Leave us."

The First Mate did as he was told, shutting the door behind him. Bella looked nervously at the Captain, wrapping her arms behind her back.

"So, lass, what are you doing here?" The Captain asked, his tone gentler than Bella had ever heard.

"Y-you're pirates." She stuttered.

Captain Kell chuckled, twisting his fingers into his beard. "Yes, we are. Didn't you know that?"

Bella shook her head quickly, "I never would have gotten on to this ship if I knew! I want to leave. Now."

At that, Captain Kell sighed, "Well, lass, we're a month from our next docking. You'll have to stay here until then."

"Can't you just take me back to Kirk?"

It was Kell's turn to shake his head, "By now the town officials will have realized who we are. We can't ever go back there."

Bella opened her mouth to object, but as the words formed the door opened again and Berkeley came in. Bella glared at him although he was paying no attention to her. He simply asked the Captain, "Shall we raise the flag?"

Captain Kell nodded and stood from his desk, following Berkeley out the door. Bella went with them, determined to convince the Captain to take her back. Once they were out on the main deck, Bella was once again astounded by the beauty of the Lady. The bright blue of the sails matched the hue of the ocean waves, every rope was in perfect condition, every slat of wood cleaned until it shined. As she looked all around her, Captain Kell shouted out, "Raise the flag!"

The pirate on the crowsnest clambered up to the highest point and unfurled a strip of cloth in his hands. He attached it on top of the sail and Bella could see the design. It was a siren, a beautiful lady with wings and the body of a bird. It resembled the figurehead of the ship, which was the carved head of a lady and wings flowing off to the side. The background was blue, like the sails, and Bella looked up at it, wondering how such a wonderful ship could belong to pirates.

Captain Kell turned to her, "Welcome aboard the Lady of the Sea, lass."

The Lady of the Sea ~ Complete - Will be Edited Soon!जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें