Chapter 14

Maddock was waiting at the entrance of the mess room for her, his thumbs in his belt loops and a mug of rum next to him.

"Ya got it?" He asked, a warning in his eyes that failure would not be a good option. Fortunately, Bella had the gems. She handed them discreetly over to him, making sure that no one saw the exchange. His eyes widened considerably when he finally laid eyes on the emeralds. He gave a slow whistle, "Damn, when you said these were worth a fortune... Theses must be worth three fortunes!"

"What are you going to do with them? He'll know they're gone as soon as he wakes up." Bella asked, curious now that the dangerous part was over.

Maddock tucked the gems into an inside pocket, "None of your concern, little lass. Now get, it's time for you to start making dinner."

Bella huffed in annoyance, but she obeyed and headed towards the galley, looking behind her to see Maddock disappearing around the corner.

Another one of Bella's duties aboard the Lady was to clean up after the crew when they were finished eating. This was the chore she liked the most. It calmed her in some way, the monotony of it. She especially enjoyed washing the thick wooden plates in seawater until they shined. It was as she finished the last plate when she hear the roar of anger. She immediately realized that it must be Captain Kell waking to find his hands empty. He knew that she was the only one who knew about the emeralds. Oh, gods, he was going to come after her!

In a desperate attempt to escape, she dashed out of the galley and up onto the deck before realising that was the last place she wanted to be. However, it was too late. She could see the approaching figure of the Captain already, his stride quick and his pistol drawn. Bella stumbled back a few steps, the fact that she had nowhere to run dawning on her. She should have never told Maddock about the emeralds.

Just as Captain Kell raised his pistol to shoot, Maddock stepped out in front of her.

"Looking for these?" The First Mate said while dangling the emeralds cockily in front of him, causing Kell to lower his weapon in surprise.

"Where..." The Captain seemed lost for words.

By now, the whole crew had gathered around the girl and two men, each pirate looking on with interest. Berkeley stood at the back, his face as stony as ever.

"Your secret wasn't as safe as you thought, was it?" Maddock teased, "You were going to sell these gems and ditch us in Perfi, weren't you? Keep the profits from our hard work to yourself."

The pirates surrounding them began to mummer amongst themselves, the general consensus seeming to be in Maddock's favor.

"I was merely going to-" Captain Kell began, but Maddock kept talking, "You were going to abandon your crew, run away from the sea like a coward!"

Kell shook his head, his beady eyes darting around the crowd, looking for a way out. But there was none, he now had to face Maddock's claims. Before he could speak again, Maddock raised his hands, "Tell you what, we'll do this the old fashioned way. One against one. Me against you. How does that sound?"

The odds were tipped in Maddock's favor; he was younger, stronger, and more agile. However, Kell had more experience.

Two deckhands tossed them two chipped iron blades. Maddock tested the weight of his, nodding in satisfaction. Kell didn't seem so happy. In fact, he had turned as pale as a ghost.

"What's the matter, Sir?" Maddock taunted, "Feeling a bit under the weather?"

Kell growled between his teeth and readied his stance.