Chapter 26 - There It is.

Clementine's POV: I woke up and sprung out of bed. I saw Renee sleeping peacefully and decided that was no good. I walked over to her bed and moved the hair from her face. "Renee...." I whispered. "Fuck off..." She responded in her morning voice. "It's time to wake up, it's a brand new day." I said. "Why the hell are you so cheerful?" She said. "Because I get to spend the day with you!" I said. It seemed she had given up trying to hit snooze on life because she got up and pulled on her shoes. She put her hand inside her pillow case and felt around for a second before turning and looking at me. "Did you-?" "Boo took them back." I said. "Ah, fuck." She said. I grabbed my hairbrush and started brushing my hair. It was really knotted today. Nicky walked into my cube and wrapped her arms around me from behind. "Morning." I said. I turned around and saw her looking dead. "Tired?" I asked. "Yeah. I got like two seconds of sleep." She said. "Ah. Well, can I talk to you after breakfast?" I asked. "I have work, what's up?" She asked. "It's kind of long, when do you get done?" I asked. "We can probably talk after lunch." She replied. I nodded.

Walking into the cafeteria I smelled apple slices and eggs. When I got to the front of the line, sure enough, there was fruit and eggs for breakfast. The table was already full when I sat down and I sat where I always did, in between Renee and Nicky. 
"Morning." I said. "She's been super cheerful all morning, I don't get it." Renee remarked. "Alright, there's a lot to smile about." I said. "You do realize you're sitting in a cafeteria with your prison wife and childhood best friend eating dry eggs and bruised apples right?" Vause said. "Okay way to point out all the negative." I said. "Yeah, and don't drag me into this." Renee said. "The apples taste nice, the eggs aren't repulsive and correction I'm sitting here with the girl I love and the best friend I'm so fortunate to have." I said. Everyone was silent. "Well, I find Clementine's happiness refreshing." Lorna said. "Thank you, Lorna." I said. The rest of the meal was quiet and after bussing my tray I went outside to get some fresh air. 

I was glad I didn't have to work til after lunch. Surprisingly this was the first time I was cleaning something besides the bathrooms. I was assigned to clean A and C dorm today. That being the Spanish girl's dorm and the black girls. It was weird, I felt like I was going to intrude. It wasn't my area. But, oh well. I guess someone has to clean it. The warm sun against my skin was very therapeutic. I walked over to the garden and saw Red. "Hey.." I said. She looked up and put her hand on her lower back. I thought about how long she must've been in here and how hard it must be to basically have to die in here. Though I wasn't sure if that was true, I don't think anyone knew how much time Red had. "Is this important, I'm kind of busy." I heard her say. Almost everything Red said sounded forceful. Like she was annoyed at you. I think it was a mixture of her Russian accent and her obvious sense of power. "I just...I need some advice. Can I tell you something without you sharing it with Nicky?" I said. "You can tell me anything." She said. I smiled. I leaned against the greenhouse wall a few feet away from her. "So, Nicky and I are sort-of back together. I mean, I'm trying things out with her." I said. "Get to the point." She said. "Yeesh. Okay. Umm, I feel like I should be more thrilled than I am. Truthfully, I'm just scared that it's all going to happen again." I said. "That what is all going to happen again?" She asked. Until I was asked that I didn't realize that I didn't actually know. "Like, I don't know. She just dropped me all of a sudden for nothing." I said. "Why do you think she did that?" She asked. "Well, because of the drugs." I replied. "Ah. There it is." She said. "What?" I asked. "You just said it. You're not scared that you and Nicky is a bad idea you're scared that she's going to relapse." She remarked. "Well, yeah. But only because if she does, I'll have to see that side of her again." I said. "Seeing her in that state scarred you emotionally. You haven't healed. The only way you're going to heal is by expressing how that felt to Nicky." She said. "Wow. I've been trying to figure out my feelings for weeks and you just managed to sort it all out within minutes." I remarked. "You're welcome. Now go away, I'm gardening." She said. I walked away with the intention to talk to Nicky later. She was working right now but as soon as she got off I was gonna talk to her. 

I headed off to lunch and found bad pizza and carrot sticks were on the menu today. I sat down and saw that Renee looked a bit out of it. "Hey, you okay?" I asked. "I've got a headache." She said. I put my hands up in surrender and turned to see Nicky. "Hey, you're still good to talk after lunch, right?" I asked. "Yeah, is everything okay?" She asked. "I hope." I said. I saw Boo and Nicky exchange looks. I shrugged and took a bite of the pizza that looked like it had already been eaten. Surprisingly, it looked worse than it tasted. But, it definitely didn't taste good. I think maybe my taste was just settling after being in here. Maybe all of me was settling in here.

Hey guys! So what do you guys think? Do you think Red was right about Clementine's fear? Would you feel the same? Let me know in the comments below! Be sure to vote, as well! Bye!