Chapter 19 - Bitsy.

Clementine's POV: Walking into the cafeteria I could smell the scent of day old fries and peanut butter. I must have a very good sense of smell because when I got in line I could see day old fries and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I thought back to my mother making me sandwiches and cutting it into four squares and cutting the corners off so I could feel like I was at a tea party every day. I sat down next to Big boo and gave her the news. "Hey Boo, you'll never guess." I said. "Well, If I'll never guess can you spare me the time and tell me?" She asked. "Sure. I got furlough." I said. "No fucking way." She said. I nodded with a huge grin. "This whole prison is gonna hate you." Chapman said as she sat next to me.  "What, why?" I exclaimed. "Because, everyone was after me when I got furlough. Everyone gets crazy jealous." She said. I couldn't have everyone hated me. I had a little time outside but I'd have the rest of my young adult life in here. "It'll be worth it. They'll get over themselves in a few days, and you'll have time on the outside. It'll be fine." Boo said. I nodded. I took a bite of my sandwich and I saw Lorna come to the table. She looked like a ticking time bomb. "You okay, Lorna?" I asked. "Vinnie and I are fine." She said sharply. "You sure about that?" I said. She sighed. "I think he's cheatin' on me with my sister." She explained. "Well, I don't know the situation. But, from what I've heard you say about Vince, I'm sure he would never do that." I said. "He said he likes caramels." She said. I looked at Lorna confused. "My sister likes caramels, Vince has never mentioned them before and then all of a sudden he has this craving for them. It's not adding up." She said. "Have you asked him about it?" I asked. "Yes. He said I'm being crazy. I'm not being crazy." She said. "Of course you're not crazy. But, maybe you're just freaking out because of the separation this prison gives you guys. It's completely understandable." I said. She smiled at me. "Do you want my advice?" I asked. She nodded. "Give it time. I'm sure things will go back to normal. If you ever feel like something is up just discuss it with him calmly and remember that he loves you. You're an amazing girl, Lorna. Christopher was an ass but not all men are. I'm sure you guys have a long future ahead of you." I said. "That was so sweet, Clementine. Thank you." She replied. Nicky and Alex walked in and sat down next to Lorna. "Hey Alex, I got furlough." I said. "Really? That's super cool, how'd you do it?" She asked. "Well, Mr. Caputo was super busy when I caught him so I just begged and then he wanted me to leave so he caved." I explained. "Well good for you." She said. Lunch was over and I left to call my sister. 

"Sarah?" I heard as Quinn picked up the phone. "Hey, Quinn you'll never guess." I said. "You got a boyfriend?" She teased. "Quinn, this is a women's prison. Anyways, no. There's this thing called furlough and if it's given to you, you can get out for like a day or two and then come back." I said. "Really? You should look into that for Aunt Lauren's funeral." She said. "I did. Guess who got furlough?" I cheered. "Oh my god, seriously? Sarah, that's great." She said. "I know! Well, the reason I called is to tell you that but also, can you pick me up from here and also, can I crash at your place while I'm out?" I asked. "Yeah, of course. I got you. Let me know dates and stuff when you can okay?" She said. "Yeah, definitely. I actually should ask Mr. Caputo about that today. When is Aunt Lauren's funeral again?" I asked. "It's in 2 days." She said. "Alright. I'll talk with you soon. Tell everyone I said hello." I said. "Alright, bye bitsy." She said. I hung up the phone and I could feel the tears in my eyes. "Bitsy" is my childhood nickname. I hadn't heard that in a while. I wiped the few tears from my cheeks and walked straight to Mr. Caputo's office. 

The door was open but I knocked on it anyway. "Mr. Caputo?" I said. He sighed. "Yes, Clementine?" He said. "Well, my aunt's funeral is in 2 days. Can you tell me the details on my furlough?" I asked. "Yes. I got it all squared away this morning. You'll be leaving in two days. You'll be gone for twenty-four hours." He said. "Thank you, Mr. Caputo." I said. I ran out of the office and went straight to the closet to get my cleaning cart. All this excitement made me late for work. "Inmate, you're late." I heard CO Humphrey say. "I know, I'm sorry. I had to have a talk with Mr. Caputo. It couldn't wait." I explained. He ignored me and walked away. I pushed my cart into the C dorm bathroom. As I wiped down the showers I was thinking about how I'd be able to shower alone. I'd be able to have a warm shower. Oh my god, I could take a warm bath. I could put on makeup again. I could choose what I wanted to eat. I'd have all the small things I'd missed so much. What you don't think about when you're going to prison is all the little things you're going to miss. Like strawberry scented shampoo and cozy pajamas. 

Soon I got finished with all the bathrooms and it was time for dinner. I knew I was late because as I walked down the corridor no one was in sight. I hated being late.