Chapter 20 - I'll See You Soon.

Clementine's POV: I sat down at the table and looked at the food on my tray. Mashed sweet potatoes, some form of beef, and peas. "Hey.." I said. "Hey, where ya been?" Renee said with her mouth full. "I was late to work so then I was late to dinner." I said. "Why were you late to work?" Lorna asked. "I had to ask Mr. Caputo when I leave for my Aunt's funeral. He said 2 days." I said with a smile. "I'm excited for you. Tell Mirah I say hi." She said. "Why? Since when do we like Mirah?" I asked. "Since I'm doing being petty about 9th-grade drama. She was a dick but I also haven't seen her in ages." She remarked. "Who's Mirah?" Nicky asked. "Old friend. Mirah, Renee, and I were like a girl group." I explained. No one seemed to have further questions which I was glad about. I hated to think about what I was like back then.

"Hey, Sarah! Hey, Mirah!" I heard from behind me. I turned to Mirah with a smirk on my face. This girl Agnes was always trying to talk to us and we just weren't having it. We didn't want to be rude but we also didn't wanna hang out with this girl. So we decided with some type of telepathy that we'd pretend not to hear her. "Mirah!" We heard again. At that point, we had given up. Or at least I had. "Hey, Agnes." I said. "How are you guys?" She asked. "We're good. Bye." Mirah said. I looked down feeling a bit embarrassed but looked straight back up after remembering how pushy Agnes was. She just couldn't take a hint. "Yeah, we've gotta go." I said. "Wanna sit together at lunch?" She asked. "We've already got lunch pals to sit with, sorry Agnes." I said as I walked away to class with Mirah. I loved having power.

After eating the last of my sweet potatoes I bussed my tray. I had eaten pretty quick so I just sat with the group and talked. "Hey, Clementine. You okay?" Lorna asked. "Yeah I'm fine." I assured. "You don't seem fine." She persisted. "It'll sound stupid." "You already sound stupid, why stop now?" Nicky teased. "I don't know. I'm so used to seeing you guys every day I know its not going to be long at all, but I just wish I could bring you all with me." I admitted. Everyone sat silently and then Nicky started laughing hysterically. "Stop!" I said while playfully pushing her. "Listen, princess. You're getting out. You're getting a taste of freedom for the day and you wanna bring your prison bitches with you so you can be reminded of Litchfield. Sorry, it just sounds insane." She said. "I know it does, but you guys aren't my 'prison friends' your my friends. My only friends since I can't take Renee with me." I said. Until I said it then, I didn't think about that. "Who will I hang out with?" I asked Renee. "Quinn. And Jackson, and Mrs. Clementine, and Mr. Clementine. You can hang out with your cousins, and also, why so you want to hang out with anyone? You're like, never alone here. Aren't you excited to sit in a room alone?" She asked. "I never thought of it that way." I said. 

I walked out of the cafeteria and lounged in my bunk for a little while. I had some time before getting ready to sleep.  I grabbed my ukulele and fiddled around a little bit, and I doodled on a little notepad I had. Then I grabbed my bathroom stuff and went to wash up. 
While I was showering I realized I only had this shower left until I got a nice warm one at home. I don't know why I wasn't that excited yet. I mean I had the general happiness whenever it was discussed, but I wasn't beaming.
I guess it was because I knew it wasn't going to be the same. 

After I was fully ready for bed I walked to the dorms and into Nicky's cube. "Hey..." I said. "Hey, are you excited to leave tomorrow?" She asked. "I am, but, I was wondering, would you maybe wanna sleep in my bed tonight?" I asked. She looked at me confused. "I just wanna spend some time with you before I leave and we didn't really get to do that today." I remarked. "Aww, are you gonna miss me, Clementine?" She teased. "Yeah, a little." I admitted. "Sure." She said. She walked over to my cube and we cuddled up next to each other. We were facing each other and I looked into her soft brown eyes. "Your eyes are really calming to look into." I admitted. She smiled. I leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "I love you.." I whispered. "I love you too.". Soon we both fell asleep. Even as I was sleeping I could feel her arms wrapped around my waste. 

"Hey..Clementine. Time to go." I heard. I opened my eyes slightly to keep the light from coming in. "You want furlough? Get up." Piscatella repeated. I got out of bed and shook Nicky. "Inmate, back in your own bed. That's a shot." He said to Nicky. "A shot? For what?" I asked. "Lesbian activity." He explained. Nicky got up and said "My existence is 'lesbian activity'.". She walked out of my cube and into hers. Suddenly the nerves sunk in as I walked down the hall and into the same room I started in when I first came here. 
I had to do a strip search before I left the prison, and I was given a set of clothes to leave it. As all of this was happening I was hearing all kinds of rules. "You may not carry a weapon, you may not consume any alcoholic substances..." all of it was kind of a blur and I was really just excited to breath the outside air. Which happened soon. 

The moment I got out of that white van and walked to my sister Quinn's car I was free, well, temporarily free. "Sarah!" She said as she hugged me. "I missed you." I said to Quinn.