Missing Draco- Chapter 51

Missing Draco

Chapter 51

                Anna made her way down the wet, windy street, heading to the townhouse that she and Dora now called home. Her job at the bookstore, The Turning Page, and it wasn’t that far from home so she didn’t have to take the Subway or her muggle car. It was a cool, wet October night and all the homes were decorated with the typical jack-o-lantern and Halloween decorations. Thoughts of Hogwarts came rushing to her mind and with them came her memories of all that had happened in her life since she had started at the school as a 5th year. Along with the memories a certain platinum-haired, blue-eyed Slytherin was never far from her thoughts. Draco seemed to be all she thought about since she had settled down in London after Dora’s birth.  She missed him terribly. Every time Anna looked into Dora’s beautiful light blue-gray eyes she was reminded of him and wondered what he might be doing or if he’d found someone else.

                Anna knew that what she’d done by leaving the wizarding world was somewhat childish and cowardly. She had tried to disappear, but she had been hurting. Anna also felt that if Draco truly loved her he might have found her by now. She was still hurt and heart broken, but now it was for a different reason. Now it was because she realized she would never be able to get over Draco. And hiding away from her world wasn’t helping; it only made her feel numb and hopeless. If it wasn’t for the joy of her and Draco’s daughter, she would probably just give up. Draco was probably married to some pureblood heiress by now, Anna thought, doing what his family wanted him to as always.

                Anna walked up the steps to her cute little Brownstone, unlocking the door. She was greeted by her nanny, Miss O’Donnel. Andromeda had recommended the lady to care for Dora when Anna had started to work at The Turning Page. Miss O’Donnel was a sweet and kind older lady who had never had children of her own, even though she had been married to a wizard, she was a Squib, so she was aware of Anna and Dora’s ability to do magic.

                “The little angel is asleep,” she said as Anna hung her coat up in the foyer.

                “Thank you,” Anna smiled at her and was about to go up the stairs to her bedroom to check on Dora when there was a knock on the door.

                Anna couldn’t stop the catch of her breath or her heart from beating faster as she thought who it might be. What if it was Draco? But it couldn’t be, Annabelle had changed her name from Blackburn to Lupin and Draco probably wouldn’t think to look under that name if he was seeking her at all.

                Anna looked through the peep hole and then let out a cry of delight as she flung open the door, “Rafe!” she cried out with joy and threw herself into her friends arms.

                Rafe laughed and swung her around, “How have you been?” he asked, laughing at her enthusiasm, looking at her with those smoky green eyes.

                “I’ve been good, how about you?” she asked, holding his hands and looking him over. He hadn’t changed. It had been over six months since she had last seen him, but it seemed like so much longer. Anna was so happy to see him.

                Anna invited him in and they sat down in the living room. Rafe told her about what he’d been up to in America since he’d left England.

                “So, you are living here in London on your own?” he asked.

                “Yes.”

                “Where is that beautiful baby girl?”

                “She’s sleeping right now,” Anna beamed, “Would you like to see her?”