The Beginning of a Nightmare- Chapter 37

Chapter 37

                It was a cold, silent night after Christmas and Anna and Rafe were out on another of their missions with the Order. They were searching for a wizard family in hiding from the dark lord. They had received a message from Mr. Weasley about the family’s location and it was up to the two of them to lead the family to safety. It was routine that Anna and Rafe use a portkey, supplied by the senior members of the Order, to get family’s to the various safehouses setup throughout the country side. They had already been in the forest for about an hour with no sign of the family. “It’s about time you gave these missions up Anna,” Rafe said out of the blue, breaking the silence of the night.

                “Why would I do that?” Anna looked at him startled.

                “A woman in your delicate condition has no business running around the country confronting snatchers and death eaters. You should just stick to helping Fred, George and Lee with Potterwatch.”

                “What do you mean, my condition?” Anna was afraid he might have learned the truth from Tonks.

                “Anna, I have seen you throwing up. You’ve lost weight and you’re tired all the time. I have been around enough of my older female cousins to know the signs of a pregnany. Tell me something” he said harshly, “does Malfoy know he is going to be a father this summer, assuming it is his?”

                “It is really none of your business,” Anna snapped.

                “It is if it endangers our missions,” Rafe snapped back, his green eyes shooting sparks.

                “Well, maybe you need to get a new partner,” Anna said softly, she couldn’t keep the hurt out of her voice. She started walking away from him, but he grabbed her arm firmly but gently.

                “I’m sorry,” he whispered, “I didn’t mean it that way, I just don’t want you hurt. And I’m jealous. I would give anything to be in Draco Malfoy’s place in your heart.” Anna looked up at Rafe and he was looking at her deeply, “Anna, I don’t care if you are pregnant with his baby, I still want you.” Rafe pulled her gently into his arms, hugging her to him and she let him; it had been so long since anyone had just held her, and Rafe’s arms felt safe and warm. Rafe felt good, but he wasn’t Draco. Anna knew that she could probably learn to love Rafe, but she belonged to Draco and it wouldn’t be fair to Rafe to be with her, when her heart and soul would always belong to Draco.

                “Rafe, you have watched over me and kept me safe and have cared for me more than I deserve,” Anna whispered her arms around him.

                Rafe looked down at Anna, taking her face in his hands gently, “I would love to wipe Malfoy clean from your mind because he doesn’t know what he has in you. If he did, he would be here with you right now and the dark lord be damned.”

                “You don’t understand,” Anna said in defense.

                “You’re right, I don’t understand. I don’t understand what you see in him or why you love him. I just want you to know that you do have another who loves you,” Anna couldn’t believe Rafe was telling her he loved her.

                “I love you too,” Anna said, “But it’s not the same as what I feel for Draco. If I were with you it would feel wrong, like a betrayal to Draco and I can’t do that to him, because I love him, and I am pregnant with his child,” Anna hoped Rafe understood.