In Love with a Death Eater- Chapter 31

Chapter 31

                Anna looked at Draco, waiting on him to tell her this important thing. She knew it was something major just by the change that came over him and in his nervousness. He seemed to be trying to figure out how to say it.

                “Anna, I never wanted us to be over. It wasn’t what I truly wanted, but I had no choice.”

                What are you saying?” Anna sat up on the sofa, facing him.

                “The only reason I told you we were over and I was betrothed to someone else was to push you away from me,” Draco said in a harsh whisper.

                “Why would you do that?” Anna begged for an answer.

                Draco stood up, “You have to promise me that what I am about to show you and tell you will go no further than the two of us. You cannot tell a soul because it would put my mother in danger, and possibly you and me as well,” he looked at her deeply.

                Anna realized he was serious, “I swear Draco, I will tell no one.”

                Draco ran his hands back through his hair, “I shouldn’t be doing this,” he whispered to himself.

                Anna stood up in front of him, taking his arms and making him look at her, “I promise I will keep your secrets, whatever they are,” and she meant it. She knew it must be bad, but she didn’t care.

                Draco stood back from her and starting rolling his left shirt sleeve up and Anna could feel herself trembling slightly, but not from the cold. She was starting to come to the realization that this wasn’t good. Draco used his wand to point at his inner forearm which he had turned so she could see. Very slowly dark black lines made themselves visible, the nasty skull with the snake coming from its mouth plain as day on his arm.

                “You are a death eater,” Anna heard herself gasp in disbelief; she fell back onto the sofa in shock, “Why Draco?”

                “Anna I’m sorry, but I really didn’t have much of a choice,” he rolled his sleeve back down, covering the terrible tattoo inside his arm, “Why do you think I tried to push you away, telling you that bull about me marrying someone else. I knew you would be disgusted when you found out what I had become and to be honest, I wanted to protect you from any danger it might put you in.”

                “That is why you never contacted me or came back to see me last summer, isn’t it?” she asked. Everything that had been going on between them was starting to make a little more sense.

                “Yeah, I couldn’t. After my father’s arrest, the dark lord and the death eaters took over Malfoy manor. It is now one of their main headquarters. After my father failed the dark lord, he required my services. At first I didn’t mind becoming a death eater; it was what my father wanted for me anyway. But then I thought about you and what this would do to us. But you never tell the dark lord you have changed your mind or you can’t do as he says or you’re dead. So I took the mark, becoming one of his servants,” Draco said sadly, sitting down on the other end of the sofa, his head lowered in his hands, which were resting on his knees.

                Anna looked over at Draco and her heart went out to him. Draco looked so dejected as if he had a terrible weight pressing down on him. He had been going through all of this alone. This was why he looked so unwell, lack of sleep and food would do that to you. Anna wanted so badly to be able to be disgusted at him and turn her back on him, but she couldn’t. This was Draco, her Draco, and dark mark, death eater or not, she still loved him.