Trying to Start Over- Chapter 49

Chapter 49

                Anna awoke out of a haze and fog, feeling terrible. Anna yearned for Draco. Her entire thoughts were consumed with her need for him and she could picture him now, his pale blue eyes filling with warmth, his arms around her holding her tight, protecting her and keeping her safe. But that was not the way it was once her mind came back to her and the realization that all the horrible things in her mind were a reality and not a nightmare. It was all real. Her father was dead, as well as Tonks and many others from Hogwarts. She could see all their lifeless body’s laid out in the great hall, their faces haunting her dreams. Lupin with his sad eyes and loving nature, Tonks, who was like a second mother to her and brave as anyone, and Fred with his bright ginger hair, who along with George, could always make her laugh and feel better. They were no more.

                Suddenly Anna looked around, realizing where she was and why she was there. Her hand went slowly to her stomach and it was flat. Not my baby too, she thought painfully as the tears started coming. She looked around her; she was in a hospital bed and there, asleep in a cushioned chair next to her bed was Rafe. Anna tried to sit up, but she felt weak so she lay back down.

                “Rafe,” she called his name hoarsely, her throat was dry and her voice raspy. He woke with a jerk, jumping up from the chair.

                “Anna,” he cried out with relief, coming to sit by her on the edge of the bed, “thank goodness you’re awake. They said you would come too eventually and be alright, but you’ve been out of it for four days now.” He took her hands in his own, “Harry defeated Voldemort. The wizarding world is free.”

                The news that Rafe gave her should have filled her with joy, but she could find none in her. Her father, Tonks and her baby were gone. Her mind turned back to Draco. He was gone as well and Anna didn’t know if she would ever see him again or want to; especially with all the terrible memories haunting her constantly. All she felt like doing was escaping the memories and the pain.

                “Rafe, my baby,” Anna started to question him, her eyes filled with tears.

                Rafe got up, “I will be right back,” and he left her there alone, which made Anna feel even worse. But then he came back in the room, followed by a healer carrying a blanketed bundle.

                “Anna, meet your beautiful baby girl,” Rafe said, a huge smile on his face, handing the bundle to Anna and pulling the blanket back.

                Anna was in awe, and this time it was tears of joy flooding her eyes. Her baby was alive, and she was beautiful. Anna touched her soft little face gently and then placed her finger inside her tiny little hand and felt her wrap her tiny fingers around her. Anna’s baby was strong, but so tiny. She had a head full of dark, silky hair, like Anna’s own. But then she opened her eyes and it was Draco’s eyes Anna saw looking back at her, such a light blue that they were almost silver-gray.

                Anna cuddled her baby. She would never let her out of her sight if she could help it. The healer asked her for her name so they could finish the proper paper work.

                “Meredith Nymphadora Malfoy,” Anna said with certainty, “she will be named after two of the best women I knew, my mother and stepmother. The last name is Malfoy after her father. But I think I will call her Dora.”

                Anna and Dora spent one more night in the hospital. Anna sent Rafe to go get some sleep and kept Dora in the room with her that night. Rafe picked Anna and Dora up from the hospital using a muggle vehicle and the only place Anna knew to go was to Tonks mother, Andromeda's house. She wanted to see her baby brother, Teddy and visit Lupin and Tonks grave.