An Unexpected, But Happy Surprise- Chapter 36

Chapter 36

                Hogwarts was back in session, but Anna was not returning for her 7th year since Snape was now the headmaster. Ann was too busy doing her work for the order. Since she knew so much about muggles and their culture, she and Rafe were given the task of protecting and trying to locate muggle-borns and halfblood families and get them to safehouses. The dark lord’s snatchers were all over the country looking for them to bring to the dark lord or the ministry. And of course all the snatchers and death eaters were on the lookout for Harry Potter. No one knew anything about where Harry might be or if he was safe. Anna also worked with Fred, George, Lee and other members on the broadcast of Potterwatch.

                She had been doing this for about two months now since Bill and Fleur Weasleys' wedding right before school started. Anna missed Hogwarts but they had all heard horror stories of how the school had become now. Anna’s father, Remus Lupin, had not taken it well that she had joined the Order of the Phoenix and they had words, especially about his treatment of Tonks when he had found out about Tonks expecting a baby. Evidently Harry had words with him also. He finally came to his senses and went back to Tonks, begging her forgiveness and she welcomed him back with open arms, but he was still busy and away a lot working for the Order.

                Because of their work with the Order and all of them being on the wanted list, they were all in hiding, using safe houses. They all stayed at different ones when needed. Not long after Anna had been with Draco the night of Bill and Fleur’s wedding, she started getting sick all of the time, but especially in the mornings. And the smell of certain things and food would make her start gagging. Anna had trouble keeping anything on her stomach and had lost weight and she feared she had a terrible sickness, but she refused to take herself to a healer. She was too busy and had too much work to do, but she was starting to feel drained as the brisk cold of December began. It was then that she noticed Tonks watching her funny. Tonks stomach was already big and the baby was due soon.

                One morning Anna ran down the hallway to the bathroom; she didn’t realize Tonks had followed her there. Anna was just lifting her head up from where she’d had it resting on the side of the toilet after being sick, when Tonks pressed a cold wet cloth against her forehead and face.

                “Is there something you need to tell us, Anna?” Tonks looked at her expectantly.

                “What do you mean?” Anna asked confused.

                “Like, who the father of your baby is,” Tonks finished.

                Anna looked at her wide-eyed. How could she have overlooked that possibility? It wasn’t as if she didn’t know better, and come to think she could not remember the last time she’d had her monthly. She had been so busy working with Potterwatch and her missions with Rafe that she had totally missed the signs. She was pregnant.

                “I didn’t realize,” Anna said slowly, still in shock.

                “Who is the father, Anna?” Tonks demanded sternly.

                “Tonks, you can’t say anything to Lupin, or anyone else. You have to promise me?” Anna pleaded.

                “Anna, I can’t keep this from your father and pretty soon you will not be able to either. And you really need to give up those missions, it’s too dangerous and your pregnancy is obviously not agreeing with you right now. You’ve lost weight and you can hardly keep anything down on your stomach. I am going to talk to my mother about fixing you a potion that can settle your stomach”

                Anna grabbed Tonks arm, pleading with her, “Please Tonks, you can’t tell anyone, especially my father.”

                “Who is the father?” Tonks asked once again, “Is it Rafe?”

                “No, it’s not Rafe. Please don’t be angry,” Anna looked up at Tonks, tears in her eyes, “It’s Draco Malfoy, he is the father.”

Tonks was quiet, her eyes big as saucers. It was her turn to be shocked. She quickly recovered and closed the bathroom door, sitting on the floor next to Anna.

                “Anna, how could you? He may be my cousin, but that whole family disowned my mother when she married my muggle-born father and me for simply being a half-blood. The whole family serves the dark lord and he is one of them, a death eater,” Tonks said, upset.

                “I know,” Anna cried, “but it is not what he wanted to do.”

                “Anna, you cannot see him,” Tonks warned, “you just don’t realize how much danger you’re in.”

                “Tonks, I haven’t seen him since the night he rescued me from Bill and Fleur’s wedding when the death eaters attacked. I know I can’t see him and there is no way I would willingly put my baby in danger to try and go to him. I love him, but I am not a fool,” Anna put her hand to her still flat stomach, amazed that she had not realized she was pregnant with Draco’s baby.

                “Tonks, I am still going to do my work for the Order and there is no way anyone can stop me. It’s the least I can do now, for my child’s future and that of my sister or brother,” Anna said, her hand going to Tonks small round stomach and gently rubbing it.

                Anna, I do not like this at all,” Tonks was getting teary-eyed, and she hugged Anna, “Why did you have to go and fall in love with that stupid Malfoy boy?”

                “I don’t guess we can help who we love,” Anna hugged Tonks as well, “you of all people should know that.”

                Anna put her hands on her stomach in awe with the fact that she was now expecting a baby. But even though she wanted this more than anything, it filled her with both happiness and sadness. She and Draco would probably never be together again if the dark lord continued to live and rule their world. Draco might never now he even had a baby on the way if they survived.

                As far as Anna knew, Tonks said nothing to Lupin or anyone else. Anna was pretty sure Tonks mother, Andromeda, suspected because she watched Anna like a hawk, but she never said anything. Anna also noticed Rafe being even more protective than usual on their missions and she wondered if Tonks might have told him about her condition. She and Rafe were still good friends, but that didn’t stop Rafe from asking her to spend time with him away from work, like a date. Anna always refused, claiming she was too tired, which was mostly true. All the work she was doing and the sickness from her pregnancy was taking its toll on her and she wondered if she might not be better off giving up on the missions she and Rafe were doing.