A Happy Reunion- Chapter 27

A Happy Reunion

Chapter 27

                Draco and Anna passed through the walled invisible barrier at Platform 9 ¾. Anna still had the invisibility cloak on. Once they were through and saw the Hogwarts Express, Draco slipped the cloak off of her and tucked it in his carry-on bag. They had made it safely to the train station. Anna started looking around, walking down the length of the train and then stopped. She looked back at Draco as if she were about to say something, but then she heard her name being cried out. It was her father. Anna ran to him and Lupin grabbed her in a fierce hug. Tonks and Rafe followed behind him. Draco stood back at a distance watching their happy reunion.

                Lupin looked her over from head to toe, his hands on her shoulders, “Are you okay? You’re not hurt are you?”

                “I’m fine,” Anna smiled up at his concerned face.

                “We searched everywhere for you, but it was Draco, wasn’t it? He’s the one who rescued you from Bellatrix and Greyback,” Lupin sounded amazed.

                “Yes,” Anna said, feeling her heart give that painful twist at the mention of his name. She looked back to where he’d been standing, but he was gone.

                “We are just glad you are safe an unharmed,” Tonks said, giving Anna a big hug.

                “Hi Anna,” it was Rafe; his beautiful green eyes looking at her intensely. Anna noticed he looked a little different then she had seen him at Hogwarts and at the Weasleys’. Rafe’s dark brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail and what he was wearing made him look tough. He had on dark jeans and a cut-off white t-shirt, a tattoo in the shape of some kind of ring showing on his left shoulder. Anna didn’t know why she did it, but she went and hugged him too, which seemed to shock him. But his arms went around her, hugging her to him, “If you feel the need to talk or need a friend, I will be returning to Hogwarts too,” he whispered near her ear.

                “Thank you,” she whispered back, “that would be nice.”

                “Anna!” she heard her name being shouted by two people at exactly the same time. It was Fred and George. They both grabbed her in a hug.

                “However did you escape?” George asked. By this time the other Weasleys’ made it over, all of them hugging Anna, not believing she had actually managed to escape the death eaters.

                “It’s a long story,” she said, not wanting to reveal the fact that she’d spent the last three nights hidden in Draco Malfoy’s bedroom.

                “Well, did you see him?” Fred asked, putting emphasis on the word him.

                “Did I see who?” Anna asked, laughing at the look on his face.

                “You know…. him. He-who-must-not –be-named,” George said in frustration.

                “Oh, you mean the dark lord?” Anna couldn’t help laughing a little at the comic look on the twins face, “No, thank goodness, I did not.”

                “What a bummer,” they both said at the same time, “I would have liked to know what he looks like,” Fred finished.

                “Well, I wouldn’t,” Anna said seriously.

                Just then the whistle to finish boarding the train sounded. Lupin pulled Anna to the side, “Anna, I have all your things already on the train.”

                “How did you know I would be here?” she asked, amazed.

                “I ran into Draco Malfoy in Diagon Alley the day after you were taken and asked him to help me find you. He promised me you would be here, and so you are,” Lupin explained, still not quite believing she was there in front of him.

                “Yes, he helped me escape and kept me hidden until we could get here to the Hogwarts Express.”

                “And for that I owe him a great deal, but that still doesn’t change the fact that his family serves the dark lord,” Lupin said sadly, “You must be careful, because through him the death eaters could get to you.”

                “Father, you don’t have to worry about that,” Anna said, again feeling the painful twists to her heart that made her chest ache, “He doesn’t want me anyway. He is going to marry another when he is done with Hogwarts. His parents have it all arranged for him,” Anna couldn’t keep the hurt from her voice.

                “Well I can’t say I’m not glad to hear that, but even so, he is a fool to prefer someone else over you Anna,” Anna hugged her father, touched by the fact that he cared. “I love you, please stay safe,” he reminded her.

                “I love you too. And you and Tonks stay safe with what you’re doing,” Anna could feel the tears in her eyes. Anna had to go, so she boarded the train and as the doors closed she stood there, looking at the faces of all the people she’d come to love. Anna waved at them until the train rolled out of sight.

                Once Anna was with Lupin again, Draco boarded the train. He took a seat in the Slytherin car and tried to ignore everyone else as he gazed out the window. There was Anna, hugging his cousin, Nymphadora Tonks, but there was someone else standing there. He was a young guy, not too much older than him and Anna. He looked dressed like one of those American rock stars the muggle world was so crazy about, his long hair pulled back. He said something to Anna and she turned to him. Draco watched with clenched fists as Anna wrapped her arms around him in a hug and the guy put his arms around her, whispering something in her ear.

                Intense feelings of jealousy and rage washed over Draco as he watched the guy looking at Anna. He knew that look. It had been the same with him when Draco had first started becoming interested in Anna and had started wanting her himself. And Anna was looking back at him and smiling. Draco couldn’t think about how long it had been since she’d smiled for him like that.

                Well, he had no one to blame but himself. He knew Anna still wanted him, but he could not help but push her away for her on good. And when she’d been snatched and brought to his family’s dungeon in the cellar by his Aunt Bellatrix and Greyback it made him realize that to protect her he could not be a part of her life right now. It was hard seeing the girl he loved in someone else’s arms. Draco had not told her his true feelings for her and he knew better than to do it. It would only cause them both pain, but he couldn’t stop himself from wondering if Anna loved him. He hoped she might, but she’d never said so. He guessed they would both move on in life, neither knowing how the other truly felt and he would just have to endure the pain of losing her to another eventually.