//Sacrifice// Part 4

Start from the beginning

"That's not what I'm doing--"

"We're not together anyway, so it doesn't matter. But that's not why I called you. I wanted to talk because I think we need to learn how to communicate better. Not just for cotillion, but for the future. Who knows--we might be working together soon."

Ethan squinted, trying to see inside my head. "What are you saying? That you want to fix us... so you can try out for the Leadership?" 

I returned his smile with one of my own. "M-m-m... not... quite? But the career field is really similar. Like, you can barely tell the difference. Barely."

"I have no idea what that means, but here's to you being... all cute and adult-like." Ethan tapped his bottle against mine and we each took a sip. I didn't have the heart to tell him I had gone and joined the Council behind his back. It was much easier letting Ethan find out the mean, ugly way-by surprise.

"Hey, about tonight..." Ethan slid to the right, cutting the space between us down to-nothing. "Claudia called me this morning--said she had some info about the Glamour. You still want it removed, right?"

"It's not a want, it's a need." With my magic, I could beat Catherine. And maybe I could save the Garou trapped in the woods. Sorry, Ti-Ti, but a girl has to do what a girl has to do. He wouldn't help me, but Ethan would. We were two selfish peas sneaking around in the same pod. It was back-scratching and squeaky mattress springs holding me and Ethan together.

"Good. I'm swinging by Cloud's place after this--I'll update you after the dance." 

"Awesome."

"What's with the sarcasm? You made me your bitch. Thought you'd be happy."

"I am. It's just... how well do you know Claudia? For all we know she could be related to Benedict Arnold. They could be distant cousins."

"Why are you asking about Claudia? I thought you weren't jealous we hooked up?"

"I'm not jealous. I'm asking because the Leader of the Red Hand somehow knows about my magic. She calls herself Catherine but her real name's Marie Laveau--"

"The Marie Laveau? As in Louisiana Queen of Voodoo, Marie Laveau? That Witch died wa-ay back in the 18th century. Your history teachers are shit, girl. I can't believe we went through the same school system."

"I know it sounds crazy, but it's the truth. Catherine is Marie--and somehow, she knows all about my family tree. She knows what I am, Ethan. She knows I'm part-Witch." When I had delivered this news to Addy I was also met with the same acute silence. 

"So you finally figured that out, huh? Guess I was right on the money."

"But are you right about Claudia? She was kicked out of the the Red Hand, remember? Not exactly a sign of reliability. Catherine mentioned they ex-communicated a Witch for casting a spell that turned Vampires rabid. If I'm right, then this mess we're in now is Claudia's fault. She's the reason the old alliance fell, why so many people are dead, why there are Garou suffering in the woods. She started this--"

"She told me. Okay? Cloud already confessed and the Witches made sure she paid for her mistake. It was an accident--"

"And was it an accident when she sold me out to Catherine and told her about my magic? Because I'm pretty sure she did that too. Why are you defending her?" Ethan opened his mouth but all that issued was a heavy sigh. "The day after Claudia agrees to help us, her old leader shows up at my house, offering to teach me magic--because she has an obsessive hate for Vampires. She wants to kill them. All."