The Rain (Overwatch; Widowmaker x reader)

Overwatch; Widowmaker x reader

As the new lead scientist for Talon, you barely got any free time for yourself. Ever since the last lead scientist died in a "tragic accident" and you were elected as the new lead scientist, your life has been hectic and you hadn't had a chance to rest for days. You even almost accidentally fell asleep while working with dangerous chemicals and acids. Today though, was your day off, probably your only day off. You had the day off because the experiment you were supposed to do for the next little while involved something that must be done outdoors, and since there was heavy thunderstorms, you had to stay inside. You had your entire day off planned, you were going to take a nice long relaxing bath while reading a book and listen to music, and then after you would take a long and well deserved nap, though it would be for more than half the day and would probably be considered a hibernation at that point. Your dreams of having a relaxing day were ruined by a knock at your door. You decided to ignore it before whoever was knocking managed to get through your door. You rolled your eyes when you saw it was Sombra, she probably hacked the keypad for your door or something. She said one thing before leaving; "Widow wants you."

You changed into your clothes from your pyjamas and went out of your room, making sure to lock the keypad before you left, you didn't trust anyone at the headquarters. You started walking through the long dark hallways to get to Widowmaker's room. When you got to her room, the door was left slightly open and you could see a bit of light from inside. You knocked on the open door and walked into the room, seeing Amélie sitting in the window sill. She kept staring out the window and probably didn't even notice you entering her room. You walked over and sat next to her in the widow sill, she still wasn't looking at you but that was alright. She reached out her hand and grabbed onto your's, holding on tightly as if you would leave if she let go. You squeezed back a little and watched her face as the tiniest hint of a smile started to form, though it immediately went away she continued to look out into the rain.

"I care about people..." Amélie said finally, turning to you slowly as she did so to see the reaction on your face. You gave her a small smile and nod for her to continue and she looked back, her face clearly indicating she was thinking carefully of what to say next. "The physiologists said I shouldn't be able to, so please don't tell them. I don't want to have to go though all of that again... but the rain has me thinking and I miss my old life, I miss all the people. I cared about them. I starting to care for people here too. It's not fair."

You listened to Amélie talking and waited a few seconds after she stopped talking to make sure she was finished talking before you started to talk. "Am, i can promise you that everything said here stays between us. And I can promise you that those physiologists won't hurt you like that again, ok? Now about the caring thing, everyone misses people that they lose in their lives, and there's never really a point where we stop missing those people, so I don't know what to tell you about that. But people here care about you, too and don't want you to get hurt. Caring about people is normal, it makes you--"

"Weak." Amélie interrupted you as she leaned back against you, resting her head on you. You sighed and put your arms around her, cradling her. You wished that she would drop everything that people around her would tell her, because it was a really toxic environment for her mental health, especially as she was was recovering from being brainwashed. You took her hair out of it's ponytail and started running your hair through it, hearing her sigh happily as you did so.

"No, it makes you human, which, no matter how ill people here speak of that, it's a good thing." You said even though you knew she wasn't going to take any of that seriously. Everyone else was too busy trying to lose their emotions, that it was affecting her trying to get her's back. Amélie took your free hand and intertwined the both of your hands, making your best skip a beat. She gave a small defeated noise in response to your comment about emotions and caring making people human. She was still looking out the window, completely entranced by the rain falling down the glass.

"I hate the rain... it makes me so emotional and miserable." Amélie said after a long silence with the two of you just cuddling and looking out the window at the trees being pushed around by the wind and the dark clouds looming over the forest that surrounded the Talon headquarters. Her breathing was slow, small, and far apart, a side effect of all the experimentations that were done by all the scientists before you. You felt Amélie move around in your arms. "I really care about you... more than the rest."

"I care about you, too, Am." You felt your heart melt with everything Amélie said and with every reaction she had to what you said. She made a small humming noise and twisted her hair around her finger, looking up at you with a small pleased smile on her face. You matched her smile as she shifted so her body was facing you. Her face was close to your's and you used to opportunity to look over her perfect face. You were looking at her and didn't notice that she was getting closer to you. Her lips were soft and cold, making you flinch a little when she kissed you. You put one of your hands up to the side of her face, feeling her cold skin touch your hand. The two of you pulled away and looked into each other's eyes. And you swear that you could see a gleam of hope and love returning to Amélie's eyes.