(1) Engineer X Reader

--

Sweet Texan bby.

Since recruitment, (Y/n) endured weeks of training, and sparring with almost every member of the team

Since recruitment, (Y/n) endured weeks of training, and sparring with almost every member of the team. The time had come to deem herself worthy of the battlefield; little did she know what awaited beyond the doors of the re-spawn Room.

As battle was due to begin in a couple of hours, to pass the time, (Y/n) sat alone in the comfort of her bedroom, merely reading. However, after a short while, the girl found herself losing focus on her book, instead her mind raced frantically with thoughts. She tossed the book aside, placing her head in her hands.

Her hands shook, feeling anxiousness arising greatly. Tears brimmed her eyes, threatening to trickle down her face. She breathed a shaky sigh, hastily standing up and wiping away her tears.

'What if I mess up and fail the team?' She worried.

(Y/n) shook her head vigorously, seemingly trying to erase her thoughts. Tiny, and almost inaudible, sobs escaped her lips.

The girl tip-toed over to her mirror, staring at her reflection as she wiped away her tears with her sleeve.

'Now I have to go into battle with a red face!' She mentally yelled.

She hid in the serenity of her room, until battle was minutes from commencing. Eventually, she mustered up the courage to leave her room, soon making her way to the Re-spawn Room.

Negative thoughts continued to run freely throughout her mind. She approached the daunting staircase, feeling stinging tears brim her eyes once again. Like a waterfall, streaks of water droplets fell down her cheeks. She perched atop the stairs and sobbed loudly into her hands.

In the Re-Spawn Room, where all nine mercenaries had gathered themselves, (Y/n)'s absence went unnoticed by her friends. However, the hard-hatted Texan happened to notice that the girl was not present. Without a word, the Engineer sauntered out of the room, in search for her.

Every inch of the base the Engineer had searched. With each room the man popped his head into, the girl was not in sight. He shook his head with a small groan.

Distant sniffling caught his attention. Hastily, he ventured towards the sound, finding himself at the bottom of the stairwell. He gazed up to the top of the flight of stairs, noticing the new recruit sitting hunched over at the very top. He began making making his way up to the girl.

"Darling, what happened?" Worry laced his accent-tinted voice.

(Y/n) jumped in fright, uncovering her face to meet his gaze, though she were merely staring into the lenses of his goggles.

Her lips began to quiver. "What if I mess up? I don't want to fail the team."

Engineer watched as the girl wiped away stray tears.

He huffed, sitting beside her and removing his hard hat. "I'm sure you'll do just fine. I've got your back." He gave her a warm smile.

With a tear-stained face, (Y/n) eyed the way his lips curled into such a sweet, comforting smile. She leaned her head against his shoulder for a moment, sighing softly. The Texan wrapped an arm around her shoulders, giving her a gentle squeeze.

"You'll do great out there." He assured. "I know it."

She giggled. "Thanks Engie."

Startling the pair, a countdown echoed throughout the base. With just 60 seconds to make it to the re-spawn room, hand-in-hand, both (Y/n) and Engineer hastily made their way.