Chapter 20: Not the Only One

Sometimes, when you love something so much, it's hard to see how your love may shatter the fragile object.

Likewise, when you love someone with all of your heart, you'd hate to see the repulsion in her eyes, due to the revelation of oneself.

It's never easy letting go...

***

"Evan, this is my... friend. Um, his name is... uh-"

"There's two of you?" Evan's eyes widened, as he recognized Death's midnight blue eyes, in which matched mine.

"Yea." I sighed. "It's a long story, but to be said simply, this is the former me, the former 'Grim Reaper'."

"Pleasure to meet you," Death grinned, grabbing Evan's hand, shaking it firmly.

Evan's brow twitched, as he quickly removed his hand from Death's grasp. "Oh, God, what have you done?" He murmured.

"I'm happy to inform you God had nothing to do with this, with me being here."

Evan rolled his eyes, as he tugged on my arm, pulling me aside. "Crystal-"

"I was thinking we could introduce Death to our friends, as one of your other cousins," I beamed.

"Crystal..." The sound of Death humming filled the room, as he glanced at the various photos in the living room.

"He needs to fit in with the crowd and not be too noticeable. You know?"

"Crystal!" I pursed my lips, as I noticed his fiery eyes. His voice then lowered. "All that God told me to do was to make you fit in and for you to learn to value human life," he recalled. "I didn't ask for any of this!"

"Evan, you don't understand. Death is not under God's protection anymore. If he were spotted in the crowd, something might happen to him."

"And this is my concern because..?"

"Evan!"

Evan stared into my eyes, in annoyance, before he soon sighed, agreeing to the idea. "Fine, but he needs to follow my rules. Whatever I say goes. Got it?"

Death grinned viciously, as he then warped right in front of Evan, causing shivers to run down his spine. I could tell his pulse instantly quickened, as he backed up into the wall behind him. "Well aren't you the little Devil," he smirked. Evan's eyes seemed to dilate, as he stared into Death's shimmering midnight blue eyes, seemingly lost in them, fearing his deadly gaze. Death soon hovered his face closer, until their faces were merely inches apart, causing Evan to timidly close his eyes, wanting to break away from him and the trance he was in. Death's hands were now firmly planted on the wall, and Evan was helplessly stuck in between the barriers that were Death's arms. He had forgotten how to move. Or more so, he grew afraid of the consequence in doing so. Death smiled, as he pinched Evan's cheek. His voice then lightened, being less intimidating and suggestive. "Okay." He then retreated his hold on the wall, and walked away towards the kitchen, as if nothing had just happened.

Evan's eyes shot wide open, as his face lit up crimson. "O-okay?"

"Yea," He smiled again. "Prudence and I need to fit in. So, we need you, Evan."

"That's true! Hey," Though it wasn't necessary, I tapped into my intensified speed and stood by Death, excitement filling my eyes. "Evan showed me the Avenues, where there's a coffee shop and various stores. Also, people seem to be quite fond of my appearance."

"It must be the eyes."

"Must be," I agreed, our heads nodding at this recognition. "You might actually enjoy your stay here. This place is like my vacation... for now."