Chapter 38 - House Elves

Start from the beginning

The house elves seemed to just realise that Ron and Hermione were with him and immediately began to apologise and offered them sandwiches and snacks.

This did not seem to make him feel better but he took the food and began to eat without complaining.

"How did Harry Potter escape?" Asked the house elf with big green eyes. She looked younger than the others.

The moment she said this however the other house elves shushed her and pushed her to the back.

"It is not a House elves business to ask such questions." One house elf told her and she bowed her head down in shame.

"We is very sorry for Holly, Harry Potter." The house elf told Harry.

"That's alright, Holly." Hermione told Holly, who lifted her head and looked at Hermione. "You can ask us anything."

"Thank you miss." She said and beamed at Hermione.

"Do any of you know what happened that night?" Harry asked as Ron dove for the sandwiches that the house elves set in front of them. "Did you notice anything odd?"

The house elf shifted uncomfortably.

"The ministry asked us already, Harry Potter. We has told them everything we is knowing." The house elf said looking miserable.

"I don't think they would know anything, Harry." Hermione said. "The house elves must have been busy preparing for the feast." The house elves nodded in agreement.

"Remember how you said that when you fainted it felt like there was magic involved." Harry said.

"Yes, the death eaters were chanting and then everything went blank." Hermione said.

"I didn't feel anything." Ron said through a mouthful of chicken. He then swallowed and said "they had knocked me out while I was carrying you out of there."

"That's when Malfoy arrived?" Harry asked Ron. Hermione's stomach did a funny turn at the mention of Malfoy' name.

"Yes. He shot spells at them and helped me move Hermione out of the way." Ron said looking at Hermione who was avoiding his eye.

"He helped us there but he was with them at the house." Harry said with a frown.

"I don't get it either." Ron said going back to his chicken. "He even told them about Hermione under the cloak. Thank goodness for that June girl."

"I hope she is ok." Hermione said. "I have so many questions."

"We can't go back now. The ministry busted in but they all disappeared shortly after we escaped." Ron said.

"I wish I had asked June about professor Slughorn." Hermione said with a sigh.

"Don't worry, we will find him too." Harry said patting her on the back.

"Professor Slughorn bad!" Holly cried suddenly and all the house elves who had been listening to Harry, Ron and Hermione quietly, jumped and one clapped his hands on her mouth.

"We do not speak to us masters that way."  He said to her and she immediately ran to the cupboard and slammed her head on it.