Chapter 27 - Salem witches

Malfoy, Hermione and Ginny hid in the corner of an empty classroom.

Ginny's opinion of Malfoy changed when she witnessed Malfoy trying to save them.

"Centuries ago there were some witches in Salem who used magic in front of muggles. It was however not an unusual thing to do. Witches and wizards lived harmoniously with muggles in Salem for a long time." Malfoy explained.

"The muggles knew about us?" Ginny said sounding surprised.

"That's what I said, don't interrupt." Malfoy said bossily.

"Anyway" he continued when Ginny fell silent. "There were a few children who fell sick and none of their healers could figure out what caused the sickness so they blamed three witches."

Hermione and Ginny looked outraged.

"Wait, I heard about this!" Hermione said. "Almost twenty witches were executed in the next year or so."

"That's not fair, why does she get to interrupt?" Ginny grumbled when Malfoy nodded in agreement to Hermione.

Hermione and Malfoy silenced her with a look.

"Yes, that's the part the muggles remember." Malfoy said darkly turning back to Hermione. "But there is more.... much more..."

Both girls fell silent, listening intently.

"Although the blame was cast on the three witches who knew the girls, rumours began to spread that other witches were involved. So the muggles began to rally them up and question them about witchcraft." Malfoy said. "Almost 20 witches were executed, including two infants."

"The ministry eventually got involved and wiped everyone's memories and in a few months order was restored but the witches and wizards had to go into hiding." Malfoy said.

"What does this have to do with Harry and Ron?" Ginny asked in a hushed tone.

"I'm getting to that part..." Malfoy said.

"The witches and wizards decided to take revenge for their ones they had lost. They cast a complicated binding spell on some of the families so that if one of them were hurt the others would reflect their pain." Malfoy said.

Hermione and Ginny gasped, covering their mouths in shock.

"That's outrageous!" Hermione said angrily.

"They were hunted and killed like animals, Hermione." Malfoy said with a frown. "Do you really blame them for retaliating?"

"What do you think the death eaters were doing to innocent muggles?" Hermione retorted angrily.

"Stop it!" Ginny interrupted, waving her hands between them. They stopped arguing and turned to her.

"Is that what they did to us? Did they link our lives together?" She asked going pale.

"I'm not sure if they competed the spell. But I recognised the chanting. That's definitely what they were trying to do." Malfoy said.

Hermione and Ginny exchanged glances with a terrified look on their faces.

"That means Harry and Ron are ok, Because I feel fine." Ginny said hopefully.