Chapter 10 - New start

Next few weeks went by and Harry found himself too busy to worry about Malfoy. Seventh years had plenty of homework and all the teachers lectured them about the importance of N.E.W.T.S.

"It is during times like this, we need highly qualified wizards in the ministry and it starts with completing your education and getting as many N.E.W.T.S as you can." McGonagall said one day after class.

All the teachers seemed to be under a lot of pressure because there were more students than ever, especially in the first year.

Harry did manage to find out the name of the boy who was attacked by Malfoy. His name was Terrence Conner. He was a twelve year half blood who missed his first year at Hogwarts because of the war. Other than that, he remained a mystery. Terrence went to classes and ate alone at the Gryffindor table, other than that there was nothing to know.

Harry got busier during meals. Kingsley sent him owls regularly with updates about the ministry and Harry would write back with advice and opinions. It surprised him how much he was able to help. Ron and Hermione were often involved in the replies.

"They can't stop muggle watchers."Ron said. "It's been around for ages.  It's the most important department to keep the muggles safe."

"I know, but ever since Voldemort came to power they have misused their position to torture muggles." Harry said.

"Maybe they could reduce the number of wizards on the watch and set up a screening process for who they employ. I have been working on it and will show you when it's ready." Hermione added.

Harry finished the letter and tied it to the owl's leg before sending it off. He looked up and saw Terrence staring at him. The moment he caught him looking, Terrence walked away quickly forgetting to eat his breakfast.

"Strange kid." Ron said.

"Stranger than your fan?" Hermione asked.

Ron and Hermione still bickered every day about the fan who sent Ron an owl every morning with the owl post. After the box with newspaper clippings Ron received a chudly cannon poster, a new chess set in solid gold and some chocolates which had to be pried out of his hands and tossed into the fire.

Ron also received letters praising him on his bravery during his adventures at Hogwarts and after.

Hermione concluded that this fan goes to Hogwarts and warned him not to go anywhere alone. Ron was over the moon. He enjoyed every bit of it and did not fail to tell anyone within earshot that he has a fan.

"She knows everything about me." Ron was telling Seamus for the tenth time. "She would get me my own quidditch team if I asked." He said with a big grin on his face.

"We don't even know if it's a she." Hermione pointed out with a disgusted look on her face.

Ron ignored this comment and Harry sighed. It was going to be a long day!

*******

Malfoy spent all of breakfast just staring at Hermione. He could not help himself. Something changed yesterday when he bumped into her. He could not stop thinking about her.

He watched as she was in a deep conversation with Harry and Ron. She looked deep in thought as she dictated what Harry had to write. He watched as she brushed her brown hair off her face. She dint look like the ugly mudblood he had been calling her since they met.

"Draco! Are you listening?" Pansy said interrupting his thoughts.

"What?" Malfoy asked, irritated.

"The ministry has been questioning my family's allegiance to the Dark lord. Obviously we told them we were not part of the post war dark rebels nor are we in contact with the death eaters but I don't know how long we can hide." She continued like there had been no disturbance.

Malfoy was stunned. He always knew there were people pretending to be against the Dark lord just to avoid the ministry arresting them but it looked like Pansy was part of something more and it was a lot darker than just hiding the past.

"Pansy." He began. "My family is trying to move on too. If you want the ministry to leave your family alone then stay away from things that can get you arrested."

"Draco, I cannot live in a world where mud bloods are treated like equals." Pansy said

"Don't say that word. Remember which side you are pretending to be on." Draco snapped. He did not approve of Pansy's behavior but he needed her support to survive the rest of the year at Hogwarts.

"Hey guys!" came the voice of Blaise Zabini. "Guess what, I have got a date with Daphne Greengrass!"

Glad for the change in topic, Malfoy turned to congratulate Blaise. "Finally got the nerve, eh, mate." He said grinning.

"Can't wait for the next Hogsmead trip." Blaise said happily.

"Maybe Draco and I could join you." Pansy said. Malfoy chocked on his toast but did not respond. After the war he had kept his distance from her but he did not have the nerve to tell her he was not interested in her like that.

Suddenly he found himself distracted. Hermione and Ron were bickering again. Malfoy clenched his fist. Rob did not deserve her, he always does something insensitive and hurts her. But what could he do?

The Weasley name was more powerful than ever. Malfoy could not dream of picking a fight because the entire school will support Ron.

Finishing his breakfast, Malfoy went to his classes. The day seemed long and annoying because of Pansy's repeated attempts to get him into a conversation. He had nothing to say to her and less after she let slip that she has death eater connections.

Finally at the end of the day he buried himself in homework at the library. This was one place Pansy would not look for him.

At peace, Malfoy pulled out his quill and parchment and began his work. He did not notice that a few seats away there was a busy haired girl buried in a pile of books watching him.

Suddenly there was a giggle. Two Ravenclaw girls were making fun of Malfoy.

"Look who is the nerd now! I never thought I'd see the day that Draco Malfoy 'the great' would be found with nerds in the library." One of the girls said to the other.

"He used to act all tough, look at him now." The other girl said giggling.

Malfoy heard enough. With a straight face he stood up suddenly making the girls jump. He walked straight to them with the same expression. The girls took a few steps back, suddenly lost for words. They were afraid of him as he lifted his hand and reached out to them.

They made a funny noise when Malfoy came close to them but then he pulled out a book from the shelf between them and after giving them a cold stare he went back to his seat.

The two girls sighed in relief and quickly left the library. Suddenly Malfoy heard a giggle from the pile of books a few seats away from him.

It was Hermione. She had been watching the whole thing.

"I'm glad you held your temper. You couldn't have handled it better." Hermione said, smiling.

Malfoy's heart began to flutter. His stomach did something funny.

"Er- thanks!" He said nervously.

"Working in McGonagall's essay?" She asked. Malfoy nodded.

"I just finished. I could help you if you like." Hermione said, moving closer.

Malfoy seemed to forget how to talk. He just sat as Hermione helped him with his transfiguration homework, watching her.

*******

Hey guys!!

All you shippers.... Who do think Hermione should end up with? Ron or Malfoy?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!
Comment.Vote.Follow.
<3<3