Chapter 16 - Quitter

Harry Ron and Hermione sat in silence in the Gryffindor common room. Harry and Ron just told Hermione about the conversation they had with Terrence and for once she had no idea what to say.

Ron's fan had something to do with Terrence and Terrence thinks it has something to do with Malfoy. The Malfoy family has been in peace with them ever since the war and they could think of no reason for them to hurt Ron. Nothing made sense.

Hermione finally gave up. "I think you should write back to this fan and ask her to meet you. We have a weekend at Hogsmead coming up and that would be a good time to do it."

Harry and Ron stared at her.

"Are you serious? Let Ron meet the fan who burned out faces out of the newspaper clippings?" Harry said in surprise.

"We would be there too!" Hermione said. "We would hide and keep an eye on them at all times."

Harry and Ron looked at each other. "I don't know, Hermione." Ron said slowly. "If she is harmless then why don't we just ignore her?"

"You are right. I'm sorry." Hermione said "It was a stupid suggestion."

"Are we ok?" Ron asked her softly, putting his hand on hers.

"Of course." Hermione said. "I'm sorry that I over reacted. I just have a lot going on." She said gesturing the pile of homework set out.

"Speaking of which." Harry said, getting up and moving to the window. "Kingsley has some for us too." Harry untied the letter and the owl took off immediately.

Harry read the letter and then passed it to Ron and Hermione.

"Looks like our new minister is getting everything sorted now." Harry said.

"That's good. So he won't need us anymore." Hermione said folding up the letter. None of them looked thrilled.

"He asked us to join the Auror department once we finish Hogwarts." Harry told them suddenly recalling their conversation at the Burrow on his birthday.

"What?" Hermione said looking up at him, surprised "without getting our NEWTS?"

"I think we accomplished more than NEWTs standard, Hermione." Ron said grinning at her.

"But we know nothing about becoming an Auror." Hermione said.

"I think it would be nice to finally be able to be involved in cleaning up death eater scum." Ron said dreamily.

"Harry!" Came a voice from behind them. It was a first year boy who came holding a few rolls of parchments tied with purple ribbon. "Professor Slughorn asked me to give you this. There is one you too." He added giving a roll to Ron and Hermione.

"Thanks." Harry said and then groaned. "Another dinner party with Slughorn."

"I have never been invited before!" Ron exclaimed with a look of sheer delight.

"Let's go together." Hermione said blushing.

"Of course we are going together, have we ever gone to the same place separately?" Ron said not looking at her, eyes still scanning the invitation, completely oblivious to her intention.

Harry smacked him on the head with his invitation.

"What was that for?" Ron moaned.

Harry raised an eyebrow and then looked at Hermione. Then it clicked.

"Oh you mean, us together?"  Ron said his ears going red.

Hermione's face went redder as she turned away before saying sarcastically "Unless you want to go with your fan."