Chapter 32 - Clues

Hermione and Ginny stood at the back of the room in the ministry as Kingsley instructed the Aurors on their new secret mission.

They were divided into three groups.

Group 1 - Find Nicholas Flamel's hiding place. Harry and Ron are most likely with him there.

Group 2 - Go to London looking for signs of Salem magic. All magic leaves traces and Salem magic is very distinctive.

Group 3 - Find Hogwarts professor Horace Slughorn. He is the only clue they have so far.

"I don't think Slughorn was aware that he was used as a pawn to enter Hogwarts. You will find that he is most likely a prisoner himself." Hermione said suddenly from the back of the room.

Everyone tuned around to see who spoke. Hermione straightened up nervously as the Aurors began to talk amongst themselves.

"Miss Granger is right." Kingsley said and they all fell silent again. "If you find him, we need it alive."

Hermione felt a sense of relief as she watched Kingsley dismiss them and they rushed to the fireplace and began to disappear behind the flash of green.

"I feel so helpless." Ginny said sounding upset. Hermione pulled her in for a hug.

Kingsley came to them and said "Go back to Hogwarts. There is nothing more you can do here."

"No! I want to go out here and look for them!" Ginny said but Hermione elbowed her in the side. Ginny looked at her and then gave up.

"No." Kingsley said flatly."You are in more danger out there than in Hogwarts."

Reluctantly they obeyed. Back in the headmaster's office they knew what they needed to do. Hermione and Ginny ran straight to dungeons near the Slytherin common room.

"We can't just barge in there." Ginny said looking at Hermione like she was mad.

"Why not?" Hermione said "Its behind the stone wall somewhere here. Harry and Ron went in there once."

"For one thing we don't have the password and for another, we clearly look like Gryffindors." Ginny said pulling Hermione back into the shadows.

"We just need to find someone and give him a message." Hermione said. "He is the only one who seems to know as much as the ministry. He is the only one who can help."

"We don't know if he will help." Ginny said crossing her arms. "He hates us remember."

"I suppose I will never be able to gain your trust." Came a voice from behind them.

Hermione and Ginny jumped. It was Malfoy.

"You told us the truth about the Salem witch trials." Hermione said stepping forward. "But we need the whole truth."

"I'll tell you anything you want to know." Malfoy told Hermione. His expression was so sincere that Hermione felt guilty for her outburst earlier.

"I want to know about Terrence Conner." She said. "What's his story and why didn't you tell anyone about him."

Malfoy sighed as though he would rather talk about anything else except that.