Chapter 20 - New Captain

After the most humiliating defeat, the Gryffindors had nothing to celebrate during their Hogsmead trip.

"I still don't get why you did not agree to be captain immediately." Ron said as they sipped butterbeer "you were a brilliant captain and you love to play Quidditch, so why did you refuse."

"Technically I didn't refuse, I just asked for time." Harry said.

"But still! If you become captain you can bring back those who deserve to be on the team, like me." Ron said grinning.

"Don't make this about you, Ron, let Harry decide what he wants." Hermione said sipping her drink.

McGonagal looked upset that he did not agree immediately but she did not argue and let him take the weekend to decide.

After they had left the changing rooms, they all walked back to the castle in silence. Carter caught up to Harry and whispered.

"Chosen one again, eh?"

Harry dint want people thinking he got to be captain only because he defeated Voldemort. He wanted to earn everything he got and now he needed to prove that he earned his place as captain.

But sure enough by next morning the whole school was talking about how Harry swooped in to seal Carters position on the team as soon as they lost the match.

All his time at Hogwarts playing for Gryffindor and all those wins meant nothing if people thought that Harry was conniving.

Suddenly he looked up and saw Ginny arrive with Luna.

Of course Ginny would make a better captain. She was an excellent chaser unlike Carter and she might change her mind and go back to the Holyhead Harpies with a little more confidence.

But would she want to do it? Become the Gryffindor captain?

Quidditch had been a sensitive subject ever since she had come back to Hogwarts. She almost did not go watch the match.

Lately she had been spending a lot of time with Hermione, Luna and Neville and less with Harry and Ron. He wondered if it was something he did to drive a wedge between them.

"Just give her time and space." Hermione said looking at the direction Harry was looking at. "It will help take some pressure off her."

Harry finished the rest of his drink and nodded. The last thing he wants to do is mess up his relationship with Ginny so he was prepared to do anything.

After Honeydukes, they stopped at the post office to send an owl to little Teddy. They had fun choosing the most exotic looking bird for Teddy. They passed the boarded up Zonko's shop.

"I knew I should have packed some dung bombs from home." Ron said. "I hope George does buy the place. It could really bring life back to Hogsmead."

By late afternoon they had decided to go back to the castle, pockets packed with sweets.

"Ugh! Look who it is." Ron said frowning. They looked to their left to see Draco Malfoy waking back to the castle, alone.

Perhaps it was because they all were starting but Malfoy felt he was being watched and looked towards them.

"Back to the castle?" Hermione called out. "Join us."

Harry and Ron stared at her in surprise. "When did you get all chummy with him?" Ron whispered as Draco joined them. Hermione frowned at him and did not say anything.

"Thanks." Draco said.

"Where are your bodyguards." Ron said with a smirk. Hermione stepped on his foot.

"I just managed to get away." Malfoy replied and Hermione smiled at him.

There was awkward silence for a while when nobody knew what to say but thankfully they had reached the Hogwarts grounds.

"We are going this way, see you around then." Harry said gesturing the way to Hagrid's hut.

"See you." Malfoy said.

"See you later." Hermione said while Ron ignored him completely and started walking towards Hagrid's hut.

He seemed to be in a bad mood and nobody needed to guess why. They made their way to Hagrid's hut who greeted them warmly.

"Just in time!" Hagrid said with a grin. "I just made a fresh batch of rock cakes."

They politely took one but could not get their teeth in so hid it in their robes when Hagrid wasn't looking.

"I heard you are now captain, Harry." Hagrid said. "I told you things would look up and you would be back on the team."

"But he didn't accept the position." Ron injected before Harry could reply.

"Why ever not? Isn't that what you wanted." Hagrid asked surprised.

Harry sighed and tried to explain his dilemma to Hagrid.

"The more difficult the victory the greater the happiness of winning." Hagrid said simply.

Once back in the Gryffindor common room Harry threw himself on the couch in front of the fire. Ron went to his room leaving Hermione confused.

"Cauldron cake?" Ginny said as she came towards him.

"Thanks." Harry said taking one.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come with you to Hogsmead." Ginny said.

"It's ok." Harry said.

"Do you want to go down to the pitch tomorrow? I could show you some of my new moves." She said with a flirty smile.

"I'd love to, but first I need to speak to McGonagal about finding a new captain." Harry said.

"Wait, aren't you the captain?" Ginny asked surprised.

"Not when there is someone more deserving out there." Harry said.

Ginny's expression softened as she placed her hand on the side of Harry's face.

"I don't think there is, but if it makes you feel better then go ahead." She said smiling.

"I'm looking at Britain's future quidditch pride." Harry said taking Ginny's hands in his. "Would you give us the honour of being captain of the Gryffindor quidditch team."

Ginny gasped, one hand over her mouth. Then they both bursted out laughing.

When the laughter died down Ginny said "Are you sure?" As she wiped her eyes.

"More then anything that has happened this year." Harry said before pulling her in for a long kiss. He was glad to be back in sync with her.

*******

Hey guys!!

What do you think about Ginny being captain of the Gryffindor quidditch team.

Ron seems jealous of Malfoy... Does he know how Malfoy feels about Hermione?

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!
Vote. Comment. Follow.
<3<3