Chapter 12 - Tryouts

Harry and Ron sat on the benches watching fellow Gryffindors try out for the Quidditch team.

The benches started to fill up as the news that Carter was holding a surprise tryout spread and by the time the sun began to set almost the entire Gryffindor house was there.

Ron was caught between nervousness and anger. There was a lot of pressure to prove himself to the arrogant new captain.

"McGonagall should have let you continue as captain." He said.

"I'm going to have a word with her later. I know she wants what's best for Gryffindor but putting Carter in charge is so reckless." Harry said, watching Carter with narrow eyes.

"I thought you both would be done by now." came Hermione's voice as she sat beside Ron.

"New Captain." Ron said with gritted teeth. Hermione did not respond. She was watching the tryouts too.

"Ok! Now Seekers!" Carter called out. "Five at a time. Finn, Cobb, Mcgrain, Henderson and Potter."

Harry got up and put his broom on his shoulder.

"Good luck Harry." Hermione said.

"Show him who is boss." Ron said throwing Carter a stink eye.

Harry walked up to the pitch and stood in line with the other for Gryffindors who were trying out as a seeker.

"Mount your brooms." Carter commanded. "The rules are simple. I just released the snitch. The first one to find it qualifies for the next round. This goes on until I find that one perfect seeker."

They nodded to show that they understood. On his command they shot up into the sky in search of the snitch.

Within five minutes, Harry spotted the bit of gold and zoomed straight for it and caught it. There were loud cheers coming from the stand as he descended to the ground, holding up the snitch.

"That was just round one, Potter." Carter said before calling out the next five.

Harry made it to the final round. He was grinning when he mounted his broom for the final round.

The whistle blew and suddenly there were more than a dozen people on their brooms flying around the pitch.

Harry froze, confused for a moment. It did not feel like a quidditch match but it was like he was flying in Diagon ally and all the other shoppers were bustling around him on their brooms.

Just then a bludger came whizzing past his left ear. This brought his attention back to the task at hand. Find the snitch!

Harry glanced at the other players. They were confused too, they had to move out of the way to stop the others from crashing into them.

Harry flew higher and higher to get a better view of the pitch without getting knocked to the ground.

Another bludger came straight for his face but he move just in time. Looking at the direction from where the bludger came he saw Carter, smirking.

Furious and more determined than ever to catch the snitch, Harry moved around the pitch. He scanned the people and had to keep jerking out of the way because random people would fly straight into him or a bludger would come whizzing past.

Suddenly he noticed another seeker going straight for the snitch. He followed him immediately, pushing his Firebolt faster than ever. He could feel other seekers following him too but they were too far behind.

He needed to get the snitch before it disappeared into the crowd of people again.

Then someone came flying out of control towards Harry who ducked in the last minute but the seekers behind were not so lucky.