Her Silenced Voice *ch. 26*

"Love," Mother said, knocking on the door. I rolled over only to see her look the worst I've ever seen. But she was dressed. So perhaps the world wasn't over yet. It's like she didn't even get a wink of sleep last night.

I got out of bed, my nightgown falling next to me. I walked over to her and wrapped my arms around her waist. Her hand smoothed my hair.

"Love," She repeated, then cleared her throat, "Mr. Suji was right,"

I froze. "I don't- I didn't want to even consider having you snatched from me.....but.....there are young men in the business; Young men who are your age. You should get out,"

I shook my head. She shouldn't say this. She doesn't have to. Her words seemed forced. My beautiful mother with her beautiful voice with beautiful manipulative words.

"I have decided that....I think...I can rely on you and....I have decided that you will go out with men I choose for you," Mother said.

I looked up at her, my lips in a frown. She seemed to have aged a decade overnight.

I shook my head.

"Don't make this harder than necessary," My mom said, pushing me away. She looks at my lamp and puts her hands in her pockets, "Listen, last night, I made a call and you will be going on a date today,"

What? I shook my head, moving back. I brought my hands up to my face. No, no, no, no......what was she doing?

"You are to meet him at the beach today at noon,"

I swallowed hard. She was trying hard, her voice was strained. Seeing how it pained her, I stopped.

I was hurting her. Maybe if I just accepted this.....it would seem like it didn't bother me as much as it did....it would hurt her less.

Taking my hands from my head, I signed, 'What shall I wear?'

"His name is Justin McToya," She said, pulling back, "It's casual, but wear a swimming suit underneath your clothes...." I nodded, avoiding eye contact.

Turning around, I went to get my clothes. It was already 10 and the drive to the beach is practically an hour away.

"And........Evie? Please be yourself. Wear clothes you would wear,"

I turned around. Walking back, I hugged her. Pulling back, I signed, 'It's okay,'

~

I wore cuffed white shorts and a loose white lacy cotton crop top over my teal one piece. Accessorized with nothing but flip flops.

My locks flew in the wind carelessly as I crossed my arms.

"Evelyn Worthy?" I turned around to see a tall blond guy with a nice build and blue eyes. That was probably Justin.

I smiled, and stuck out my hand.

Mother's voice sounded in my head, 'He can understand sign language, Love. His cousin is incapable of hearing,'

He smiled and grasped my hand in a shake.

"Is there anything you want to do in particular?" He asked.

I shook my head, 'You chose the area so I thought maybe you had an idea,'

He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck, "I thought, maybe since girls dig the ocean....."

I smiled, 'Yeah, I see you have your swim trunks on. I guess we'll be going out for a swim?"

"Yeah," he said, "But it's fine if you don't want to,"