Her Silenced Voice *ch. 22*

'They worked with each other often so of course I would be wary,' I wrote, 'But she found nothing wrong with him so she continued working projects with him. Around that time, she found an interest in Kai.

He was a new student along with Allen but Kai was different. Kai wouldn't talk at first, the usual new kid stuff but Evelyn found fun in messing with him.

So she started to walk Kai home every other chance she got, mainly because the road home was similar to his. She'd talk to him, even when he wouldn't talk to her. And soon, he'd open up to her.

But that all went on without my notice, the first day I met him was the day Kai had gone to the dance as her partner. It was also the same day Kai fell into the punch bowl.

Evelyn nor Kai would tell me about what had happened. Even though we normally don't keep secrets, Evelyn told me that this was something she couldn't divulge. She said it wasn't her story to tell.

After that, he wouldn't talk to her. He walked at an inconsiderate pace, knowing she would have to work to keep up. To put simply, he cut off all ties with her.

We didn't know why at first, both Evelyn and I had to keep Jake away from confronting Kai about it. If she had not told me what she had thought of the situation, I believed I would have joined Jake, considering I had no idea who this guy was.

At that point, Kai was this stranger who had just hurt Evelyn's feelings by denying her compassion.

But of course, Jake and I were on the wrong, assuming that Kai was being an ass. She believed that he just had problems that he wanted to resolve himself. But she was wrong too.

If that was the case, if he had problems, he shouldn't have to face it alone, so I urged her to confront him herself.

She went to the front of the building early in the morning so she waited for him to arrive.

When he did arrive, he didn't cast her a second glance. Instead she walked into the building following after him. She followed him to his locker and once they reached his locker, he turned around and told her to "piss off".

So there I was, standing around the corner, spying on them and there was my sister giving him the benefit of the doubt....and there he was, telling her to piss off. You can imagine, what happened but instead, Jake got angrier so I had to keep him back and keep my cool on. It was annoying.

Then after a moment of talking, Kai seemed to urge her to go away, seeming more and more persistent.

Then a person came along. Someone I'd never seen before. He said something the two of us couldn't hear but all I saw was that Evelyn was uncomfortable.

Then I noticed Kai. His head bowed down, his fist clenched.

I looked at Jake and Jake looked at me. Something was happening.

Evelyn then came between them and pushed the stranger back, not too rough but definitely not gentle either. "Hey, back off will you?" She had said aggressively. Then the guy pushed her back, harshly. She hit the lockers and everyone turned to them.

But before I could get to them, Kai swung his fist at the stranger.

Least to say, when this was over, all three were suspended for 10 days of fighting. Not that I minded.

So, after that, we got to know Kai a bit better and he opened up to us, much to Evelyn's happiness.

But then came around the talk about the stranger who picked a fight. He was just one of the many who bullied Kai. Apparently, Kai thought that if he told Evelyn, she would do something about it and if she did do something about it, she would begin to learn the horrible things about him.