8

Karla's POV

"Karla?" Billy asks as I open my eyes. "Look how beautiful she is.

He hands me my daughter and I kiss her forehead. She is beautiful. "Maite." I whisper.

"She looks just like you." Jamison says. "I can't wait to see her sleeping in her own bed."

"I can't wait to see her on her first day of school, first dance, first date." Billy cooes.

"I won't be apart of any of that." I sigh.

"You're right." Jamison says.

"You're not her mother." Billy demands as he snatches the baby from me.

"You're nothing." Jamison says. "You will never see Rose! Ever!"

I sit up panting for air. I glance around the hospital room and the only person I see is Nara. "Hey super star." She smiles.

I gulp and lay back down. That was a horrible dream. "Where is Rose?" I wonder.

"She's in the nursery. Billy and Jamison are with her now. She's so beautiful." Nara smiles. "Do you want to see her?"

"No." I sigh.

"What? Why?"

Because she isn't mine!" I snap. "She never was and I need to accept that."

"You know that's not what Billy and Jamison want. They want Rose to have a mom and they are going to need your help raising her." Nara says sympathetically.

"I'm not even fit to be a mother." I sigh.

"That's why they are there to help you. You don't need to be a mother just be present in her life." Nara insist.

"Just give it a rest."

"Fine, you say here mope. I'll be spending time with my God daughter."

"What?" I asked confused as hell.

"They asked me to be the god mom and I said yes. You really need to get your issues in order. Most surrogates don't get the opportunity to be in their child's life afterwards." She says before storming out of the room.

I know Nara means well, but she'll understand how I feel in a few more months. She'll be the one handing her baby over to somebody else.

****

When I wake up again Jamison is sitting in the edge of the bed. "What are you doing?" He asks me.

"What do you mean?"

He turns his body towards me and that's gene I see that he is holding the baby. She was very pale for being half Puerto Rican. I guess she's going to look like Billy.

"I wasn't sure about the whole baby thing either." He confesses to me. "I mean I like kids, but I wanted to adopt. A child that was neither mine nor Billy's and we raise them together, but Billy really wanted to pass his genes down."

"Why are you telling me this?" I wonder.

"I was scared that since this kid was Billy's and not mines that I wouldn't love her as much. I thought maybe Billy would love her more than me or something. I'm not quite sure, but when the doctor handed her to us I knew everything I felt had vanished. I also realized that you deserve to be apart of her life even more than I do. You are her mother, Karla. Yes, she has two dads, but that doesn't mean she can't have a mom. I want you to be apart of her life."

"It's just so complicated." I sigh.

"Look at it this way. You get to have this amazing little girl without the headache of waking up in the middle of the night and still being able to do whatever it is that makes you happy. Maite, needs you."

"Maite?"

"Nara told us about your nickname. Billy and I both agreed that it suites her considering she was born in Valentine's Day."

"You're naming her Maite?" I ask on the verge of tears.

"Maite Rose Richards-Gardner."

"Can I hold her?" I ask him. He nods and carefully places the baby in my arms. I kiss her forehead and rock her gently.

"I'm your mommy, Maite." I smile. "I'll never leave you."