Chp 3:

Nicolai:

I turn around quickly and stare at her. "Ex-excuse me?" I stutter.

"I'm your sister." She says again. "Yeah...no I heard you the first time." I say, my voice coming out slightly shaky as I look her directly in the eyes.

"I don't have a sister. My parents only had two kids." I say. My pulse was racing now.

"Your mom and your dad....only had two kids. Correct. But my mom and your dad....had me."

"No. There's no way."

She nods and frowns. "Your dad and my mom...they dated. I didn't know that they were together when he was still married to your mother."

My stomach clenches. "I'm 22 years old. My mom and I live in a town just outside of New Jersey. I was raised over there. I rarely saw our dad."

"Stop. Just stop. He's not our dad. He's not my dad and he certainly can't be your dad." I say, my hands turned to fists and I was clenching my jaw.

"Nick. I'm sorry. My mom, she is a good woman but she worked at a bar and he met her there. They started seeing each other and then she found out that she was pregnant with...me."

"So, you're telling me that Robert has three kids?" I ask aggressively. She steps back.

"That I know of. Yes." Her voice is fragile.

"Mother fucker."

She looks away. "How do I know you aren't just coming after my family for money. How do I know that you aren't some con artist or some shit like that." Her expression changes and she  looks at me with hurt and anger.

"I drove five hours to come tell you this. My mother and I haven't spoken in three days because she was completely against the idea of me meeting you and not to mention, we look alike!" She expresses and I look at her.

"I'm not after your money. I'm not after anything. My whole life I grew up with just my mom. It was always just me and my mom. Then I found out I have two brothers. Can you understand why I'm here?"

"How did you find me?"

She rolls her eyes. "Really? It's not that hard. You're everywhere. Besides...my mom was heart broken when she heard about my fathers passing. That's when she told me everything and from there, I did some research and before I knew it. I found out where you were living...so I decided to make a trip here."

"I want proof." I say as I look around the parking lot.

Nobody was watching which made me feel a little less uneasy.

"I'm comfortable getting a blood test. I just want you to know that I'm not here for malicious reasons."

My phone begins to buzz as I look down at it and see that Tessa is calling. "I need to go." I tell her.

"Please, just text me or call me. I really would like to meet Eli as well." She pulls a small piece of paper from her bag and then a pen and writes something down then hands it to me.

"What's this?" I ask.

"My number. If you have any questions then you can ask me. I'm sorry to intrude like this. But I needed to do this."

I place the piece of paper in my jacket and then give her a nod as I get into my car and she walks away.

I gather myself as I sit and look at my steering wheel in utter shock. How was I supposed to explain this one to anybody.

Once I've gathered myself, I head home and find Tessa sitting with Ava at the long gray stone dining table that sat on a portion of our patio They have the outdoor lights on that hang above us on the porch and music by Nat King Cole plays on the outdoor speakers.

I put everything away and head outside. "Hey." Tess gives me a smile as I smile back and kiss her gently.

Then I kiss Ava on the top of the head and sit down in a chair across from them.

"How was it out?" She asks. I rub the back of my neck and nod. "It was alright." I shrug.

She gives me a look and sets down her phone. "What's going on?"

"It's nothing, I just don't feel too good." I lie as I look down at the ground and Jackson, one of our dogs comes up to me. I scratch him behind his ear as I feel Tessa's gaze still on me.

"What aren't you telling me?" She asks. I sigh and look at her. "Tess, I would tell you if something was wrong. I'm fine." I clear my throat and Ava jumps off Tess' lap and comes over to me.

I pick Ava up and set her on my lap as she lays her head on my shoulder. "Fine. I'm going to go make dinner." She says and gets up as she heads inside and shuts the patio door.

Ava yawns and I rub her back and sigh again as I watch Tessa walk off. I had no idea how to bring this information up to her or anyone else in my family.