Chp 2:

Tessa:

I make Ava lunch and then go to find Nick. He was sitting in his home office and taking care of something on his laptop.

I sit across from him and he looks up at me. "I'm looking at flights for Italy. I just remembered that my mother and Brian are going to be taking a trip there soon as well." He says to me.

I nod. "Yes. And?"

He sighs. "I need to find out when they'll be there because I don't want to go at the same time as them."

I tilt my head as I look at him. "Why?"

"Because, I don't favor the idea of being on a vacation with my mother and her fiancé." He rubs his temples and leans back in his chair.

"Nick, who even says we need to go at the same time as them and even if we were all there during the same time. What is the worst that could happen?"

He looks at me. "Actually don't answer that." I say to him and he nods.

"Look, just think about it. Besides, I do think it's important that Ava spends time with her grandmother and soon to be grandfather."

Nick gives me an irritated look and I stand up. "Nick, I'm just trying to help. Okay?" I say frustrated as I go to leave and he stands up. Stepping in front of the doorway.

"I know you are. I'm sorry." He looks down at me and grabs my hand. "I just haven't fully come around to the idea of my mom getting remarried, is all."

"I know that it's not easy but I think that Brian is a good man and he clearly makes your mom happy. That's what matters." I tell him. He gives me a faint smile.

"You make a good point."

"I know I do, now will you please run some errands for me. I have a list and I have too much to do around the house." I tell him and he smirks.

"Ah, the married life." He shuts his laptop and we head out of his office and back down the hall to the kitchen.

I give him the list of errands I need ran and he goes over it. "I thought we just got two frozen pizzas at the store last week?" He asks as he looks from the paper to me.

"Oh, yeah sorry about that bro. I ate those." I look over at Eli as he enters the kitchen.

"That's why I put them on the list again." I tell Nick and he rolls his eyes at his brother.

"Okay, so the grocery store, the mall, and what is that?" Nick asks. "I need you to go to the pharmacy and pick up my pills for me. I'm almost out." I tell him.

"When did you go back on them?" He asks me. "Like two months ago."

"Alright, I'll go take care of this. Anything else you need?"

I shake my head. "Okay, I'll be back soon." He gives me a quick kiss as he grabs his car keys and heads out.

I begin to clean the kitchen as I see Eli laying in our living room. He flips through different sports channels.

"So how long are you going to be staying over?" I ask. "I don't know, maybe for one more day. I don't really feel like driving back yet."

I stop rinsing dishes and look at him. "Is there a reason you haven't gone home?" I ask again.

He stops flipping through channels and looks back at me. "No. Why do you think that?"

"Because I would think that most people would've gone home by now."

"Okay fine. Yeah something's bugging me but you can't tell Nick, okay?"

I walk over to him and sit down in a chair near the couch he was sprawled across.

"What is it?"

"The other day when Irina and I were talking, she was telling me that she wants a kid." He tells me.

My eyes widen. "She doesn't want to be married but she wants a child. And obviously it freaked me out. All of it freaks me out."

I listen to Eli speak as he goes on. "I'm not father material or husband material. I've known that for years. It's a terrifying thought and I can't get myself to face her right now."

"Eli, look. Your brother didn't strike me as father material or even husband material either. Look at him now though. He's an amazing dad and a great husband. Irina clearly loves you."

I pause and he looks at me. "I think you might feel that you aren't those things and maybe you aren't ready for that now but I see the way you are with Ava. She adores you, I fully believe that you would be a great dad and Irina would be a great mom."

He runs a hand through his hair.

"What I'm trying to say is, just think about it. Give it some time. You might end up liking the thought of having a child and be honest with her."

He nods at me. "I'll think about it. I just don't want to let her down."

"I know what you mean. When I had Ava, I was afraid at one point that I wouldn't be a good enough mom but with time I felt differently and I'm telling you. Having a child is an incredibly rewarding feeling."

He gives me a smile.

"Ew." I hear a voice say and we look over the couch to see Kirsten standing near the kitchen counter as she drinks an energy drink.

"Are the two of you done with your sappy moments?" She asks.

I glare at my sister. "No, in fact Kirst, how about you join our sappy conversation." I give my sister a fake grin and she gives me a disgusted look.

"No thanks. I'll pass."

Nicolai:

I run the last errand that was on the list that Tessa made for me and as I leave the grocery store and head to my car, I'm stopped in my tracks by somebody.

Standing behind my car is a young woman. She's on the shorter side, has light brown hair and green eyes and strong cheek bones.

"Can I help you?" I ask as I go to unlock my car as the trunk begins to open.

She steps away from the back of the car and stands off to the side as she stares at me. "You're...Nick Piercy. Right?" She asks.

My brow creases as I stare at her and then give her a nod as I place the three bags I had in the trunk and I close it.

"I'm not sure how to say this..." She says.

She knots her fingers together and bites her bottom lip then looks back up at me.

"Ma'am, I have to be heading home. If this is work related then I'm going to need you to call my office and take your questions up with them." I say.

"No. Please. It isn't work related. I'm sorry...I'm just nervous."

She rubs the upper part of her right arm and sighs. "Who are you and what is it that you want?" I ask, I was beginning to get frustrated.

"Alright. I'm just going to come out and say it."

I give her a questionable look as I begin to head  for the drivers side door. However I stop abruptly when she speaks again.

"My name is Katia. I'm your sister."