The Wedding

“The real person smiles in trouble, gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection.”

“Butu, come and have dinner.” Dad, for a change, called me.

“Coming, dad!”

“I will feed you.” Dad announced, seeing my busy hands and just like childhood, I sat next to him, he made small morsels and fed me. I bit back a cry when dad wiped my mouth after feeding me and made me drink water. My eyes surfaced with tears, nevertheless and I hugged my dad tightly.

He slowly patted my head. “My little princess has grown big enough.” I could sense his croaked voice.

“I love you dad. I don’t want to marry.” Call me stupid but yes, I cried. I felt dad kissing my hair, he didn’t said anything.

“When you were born, I used to wait for this day and knot dreams but now when you are actually going, I don’t want to send you.” He finally spoke and I hid my face in his neck, shedding tears.

“Then don’t send me.”

“I wish I could do that.” He laughed, sardonically and I looked up at him. “Why don’t we make Abhimanyu stay with us?”

“I asked the same thing to my dad but your dad was adamant on bringing me here and my dad couldn’t do anything.” I heard mom’s voice.

“That was a different thing.” Dad opposed and mom sat next to me “Why?”

“Because, I am the best dad here.” Dad boosted and mom rolled her eyes. “Yeah, right! Self praise has no recommendations.”

“Whatever!” 

I smiled. This is my family. My picture perfect family.

“Now get up Butu and go to sleep. You’ve to be up early tomorrow.” Mom got back to her brigadier mode and dad gestured me to go.

“Goodnight mom, goodnight dad!” I bid and ran to my room to see Siya waiting for me.

“This is for you.” She forwarded a wrapped box.

“What’s in it?”

“Open na!” She urged, sitting on the bed as I unwrapped the paper.

“It’s a box.” I opened it to find miniatures. My eyes widened with excitement when I saw the first piece, my home then our family photograph and then my car. She’d gifted me Jamie Dornan and Leonardo miniatures as well. I was so excited and I shuffled the whole box. It was filled with all my close things. I pounced on Siya and hugged her tightly. 

“Thank you thank you thank you sooooooo much. How’d you get this?” I was thrilled and she raised her collars. “Connections and money it all takes.”

“How much?”

“30k.” She spoke and my eyes bawled out “30 THOUSAND!!!”

“YOU SPENT SO MUCH MONEY!” My subconscious cried vigorously, I’d been happier if she would have handed me the cash despite the miniatures.

ESV flapped here and there in agony, ‘I could’ve purchased new sexy heals, new dress and a brand new Capresse bag with that money.’

“Shouldn’t you be happy that I am gifting you?” She arched her eyebrows. ESV snubbed her, ‘Don’t you have any respect for sale season and shipping sport?’

“Next time give me the cash instead of gift. Anyways, this is good.” I hugged her, chanting morosely.

I pity her prospective husband who will have to deal with her.