The Best Match: Disclaimer

©2015 Shruti THE BEST MATCH

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electrical or mechanical, without express written permission from author. However, the author explicitly doesn't own any images or the cover art.

***

SNEAK PEAK

“Will you speak?” I demanded, trying to not sound frustrated but that was all how I was feeling then.

“We can't stand here. Let's go back in.” He breathed out and moved past me to the room. I stood on my spot rooted. I knew he was trying to stall me.

“Is there anything you should be telling me but you are not saying it?” I asked again without turning to face him. I felt him stopping behind me. He must've inhaled a sharp breath which I judged from the way he exhaled after gulping a lump.

I was surprised at the silence around us. I could literally hear his heartbeats in my ear. Turning on my heels, I saw his slumped shoulders, like they were burdened with something.

“Is everything alright?”

“Will you believe me if I tell you?” He countered my question with his own and looked at me over his shoulder. I nodded tentatively, “Yes. I will.”

“Really?” He prompted, turning to face me. His brown eyes assessed me quietly. “Will you trust a man you've known for just a few weeks? Shouldn't you test me first and judge me on my actions?”

I could sense mockery in his weighted words. But, I didn't understand why he was being so acerbic with me. We hardly spent time together and he was already using that tone with me.

“Have I offended you?” I creased my forehead, taking a step forward. “You are behaving differently.”

“Is that so?” He mocked me again, “I thought I was just being…”

“Cut the crap, Abhimanyu! I'm sick of this. We've not been married for a day and you are behaving so rude with me. What's wrong with you?” I scowled.

His eyes turned cold and he fisted his palms too. “Fine! You are wrong. Our marriage is wrong. Everything about us is wrong. Happy?”

“What?”

“We have gotten married but that is just for the world!” He said and I stumbled back in shock. Holding on to the drawer beside me, I looked at him in disbelief.

‘Please tell me you are lying! Please tell me you are lying.’ I chanted in my mind, hoping this nightmare would break. He was still uttering shit with his damned mouth.

“I don't believe in this marriage. You will get the entitlement of being my wife but that's all. I'll never accept you.” He stared at my face, coldly. “This marriage happened only because of my parents.”

“How can you say that?” I mumbled in a broken voice but it went unheard. I closed my eyes to stop the tears from flowing down on my cheeks. The man who had promised to keep me happy for the rest of my life made tears pool in my eyes within a few hours.

“I don't want you. I hold no responsibility for you.” He was cutting my heart little by little, uncaring of the fact that I was already dying inside. It felt like he just wanted to make sure I was completely broken.

He turned to leave but I stopped him. “If that's so simple, I'm sure you'll have your speech ready when everyone asks you where I disappeared suddenly.”

I opened my eyes and looked at him in such hostility that he could die from the intensity of my glare. He didn't turn back and merely scoffed.

“Unless you die, I will have no problem telling others that you are no longer here. In fact, I'll be glad if you can disappear immediately. I hate to even look at you.” He spat and moved out, leaving me behind to find the cause for his hatred.

______

The book has been very special to me and the love and affection I've received for it, is phenomenal. I don't think I can ever be thankful enough for this love. Thank you for being a support throughout.