28. The Cold Crossing

(Melias)

"When the sky weeps, we all weep, for we know that Virtues cry for the sorrow of our world. Rain is never without suffering, though with rain comes new life, life and death intertwined."

- Nature's Truths; a Text on Candor: Ch. 7.

It was cold and raining heavily when the ferry came to port at Balen's Crossing. It wasn't unseasonal for the deluge, as it was getting into the throws of autumn. However, the wind was fierce, and every single drop of rain seemed to pierce to the bone. Even huddled beneath the awning of the poop deck, the rain sliced through and cut into Melias.

Melias was no stranger to the cold but they hadn't dressed for the rain. He found himself shivering. Abigail stood next to him, bundled up in a wool blanket that she'd brought with her from Merri's keep. She offered to share it, but it was frankly too small for both of them. Melias insisted she keep it. To compensate, she huddled into him and tried to share her warmth. He didn't protest.

Gelion stood a ways from them, weary and wet, his lips sealed and his expression grim. He hadn't spoken much in the four days since they left Redwall. No doubt his mind was muddled by thoughts of the civil war that engulfed his realm and his home. He held his right arm gingerly against his side. He'd ditched the sling and had already committed to using that arm for fighting again. Melias had seen him practicing below decks. He hadn't done it pain free. Now, Gelion stared forward, a different pain painting his golden features.

Melias knew that coming home to Balen's Crossing would be a trial for the Goldstrider. He only hoped they would come out of it unscathed.

The town was named for the large retractable wooden bridge that spanned the wide banks of the Balen River. It was at this point of the river's path that it was at its widest, and Balen's Crossing was on the only reliable way to cross for miles and miles. Even still, the town that sat on the western shore was hardly a bustling port.

Melias peered out at the imposing castle that loomed over the water and bridge from the eastern bank. He knew from his own dealings that the Lord of Candlestain Castle was not a man to be trifled with. His greed was known even amongst the elite of Whitemarch. His port taxes were notorious.

They disembarked from the ferry, the rain drenching them instantly as they stepped from beneath the awning. It pelted them, each drop heavy and sharp. Hundreds of ice-cold stings assaulted Melias, but he did his best to ignore it. He pulled his cloak tighter around him, searching desperately for as much warmth as he could find.

They weren't a step off the gang plank when Gelion pushed passed him and stalked off, his limp lessened by still prominent. Melias and Abi strode after him. He walked surprisingly fast, at a pace that bordered on running. Melias reached out and grabbed his shoulder. He turned the Goldstrider around to face him.

"What is it?" Gelion snapped. His glare was venomous and Melias had to suppress his shock. It was the first time he'd been on the receiving end of Gelion's ire. He glared right back at him, not to be outdone.

"Take it easy, friend," Melias said. "We're here now, no need to strain yourself. Where are you going?"

He huffed. "I need to find someone." He didn't wait for Melias' response before he turned on his heel and kept walking. Melias shared a roll of his eyes with Abigail before they both continued to follow him.

Melias' memory was fuzzy, but he had once been to Balen's Crossing years ago, when he was training with Judar. He recalled it being a bustling river port town – not of the ilk of Queensport, but a fine and industrious town nonetheless. That was not the town that stood around him. This was a far different, far bleaker place.