6. Harsh Truths

(Shu)

"All life is precious and should be cherished. Only the need to end one's hunger should any life be extinguished. The weakest rabbit and the mightiest bear should be preserved. From the giants of the Black Peaks and the mermaids of the Shattered Isles, all should be cherished."

          - The Book of Sympathy: Ch. 1 verse 1:5.

Shu stalked the rest of the way through town to his mother's house, which was only a couple minutes from the inn. He did his best to contain his emotions as more people told him goodbye. He didn't think it was working, but he put on a smile and thanked them all. To them, all seemed well. He was far from it.

His heart was racing and pounded out a frantic tune as he went. He couldn't believe those men, those scum. He couldn't let their false words work him. He could go home and hear the truth from his mother, and then he could put that little episode behind him and finally begin his journey to the capital.

His mother's home, his childhood home, was on the eastern side of the town, the opposite of Shu's house. Shu wove through the streets and alleys and soon found himself standing before it, the vestige of his past. He'd moved out of his old home two years prior at the age of fifteen and into the home of the old town cobbler, Gepius. Shu took up his mantle and left his mother's side to become an adult. Nevertheless, it would always be his home.

The house hadn't changed much in two years as Shu regularly came to visit and helped her with maintaining the property. It was a small single-story dwelling, wood supports and stone foundations, with a thatch roof that needed some mending. It was only one room, with two beds on opposite sides of the room from each other and a hearth in the middle with a few tables, shelves, chest, and wardrobes on the bordering walls. It was a small place, but for most of his life it was only him and his mother, so it was enough.

Shu opened the door loudly and stormed in. He was greeted by a yelp, and his eyes soon found the small frame of his mother. She was sitting near the hearth at a small round table knitting some blue fabric.

"Oh, Shu, it's only you. You gave me a nasty fright, son." Her deep brown eyes glowed brightly in the light of the fire. The shock in them faded. She stood and ran a shaky hand through her long jet-black hair. Her hair was still as vibrant as it used to be. "Come to say your goodbyes?" she asked with an innocent smile.

For a moment, Shu's anger subsided as he realized that this would be the last time he saw her for a long time. He didn't want to leave her on an angry note, but he had to have the truth. His anger wasn't with her, or so he told himself, but he couldn't help but shake with a slight fit of rage.

He tried to gather himself. "Yes, I have. But first I need to talk to you about something important."

His mother could sense his tone and her smile faded. "What is it?"

Shu put down his things and convinced his mother to sit back down in her chair. He continued to stand. "It's about Da."

"Your father? By the virtues, what brought this on?"

"I stopped by the inn to say my farewells to Rionn, but there was a group of men there from out of town that were very boisterous. They claimed they were members of the Swords of Justice."

His mother's face lost its pink color and became pale. She knew of what he was speaking. She knew something. Shu continued and told her of the bar fight and of the exchange he had with the leader of the men, who told him that he looked just like their boss.