Oh god, what if I'm waking them all up? Not the best way to start things off, by making every member of her family pissed at me.

After another moment the door swings open and my eyes go wide.

"Harry?" Steve says, not angry to see me but he isn't happy with my sudden appearance either.

Losing all sense of social expectation I blurt out, "is she here?" I sound timid and desperate, but why even lie at this point? He could probably read how I feel on my face, there's no hiding it.

He sighs at me, not making any move to let me in or answer my question. Then we both hear someone move around inside.

Emma?

Whoever it is has snapped Steve out of his passive state and he looks back at me and very clearly says. "Harry I really think you should leave."

"But I need to..." just about ready to beg on my knees in front of Em's stepfather.

"I don't say this because of Emma, okay." Well that's not what I was expecting to hear. "I'm telling you because my darling wife and overly confident son hate you at the moment and I'm certain their reaction to you will be far worse than hers."

A sliver of hope.

"I understand but I only want to talk to Em. Please." My voice cracks as I dig my hands deep in my jacket pockets, my bag weighing down on my shoulder.

I honestly don't care if the rest of her family hates me, I hate myself and they have every right to but I only care what Emma thinks. She probably hates me too but Steve didn't mention Em so...

"Don't mean to be harsh but it's true and apart from them, I'm not too happy with you either" Steve explains further.

And there is it.

"Sir I'm so sorry but–" And as I try to continue I see his face harden, the roadblock between Emma and I getting more difficult to bypass.

"What was the first thing I asked you when you were here at Christmas?"

"A lot happened at Christmas." I say quietly, trying to give myself enough time to gather my thoughts.

"I asked you if Emma was in good hands and you said she was."

I have nothing to say in response. I have absolutely no excuse. He's right. I did say that and I went back on my word.

"I know" I say quietly. "But I'm trying to fix that now. Please."

"Steve, who is it?" I hear a female voice from within but it's too muffled to know who exactly it belongs to.

Without a word, I watch as Steve peeks his head around the door to look at whoever it is. He says something I, unfortunately, cannot hear.

If it's Em please let her come out.

She doesn't. No female does in fact.

Then I see Em's little brother is standing behind his father.

The last conversation I had with the four year old comes to the forefront of my mind and I suddenly feel worlds guilty.

With all that's gone on between Emma and I, I haven't only betrayed her trust in me but I've fractured the relationship I had with her family, especially Lucas.

I promised him I wouldn't make his sister cry and I couldn't stick to my word.

Fuck I'm awful.

But I can't keep that from trying to mend fences.

"Lucas I'm–" I start but before I continue Lucas takes a step forward, his face red with anger, and with one swift kick, his foot makes contact with my leg and I buckle over.