Chapter 13 Ill Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

   A distant chirp came from the far side of the house. It caught my attention and had me turning my head curiously to look for the source.  "Hm?" Lazily, I spotted Angela's pet flying around with a stick in his claws. I cocked an eyebrow and squinted—it wasn't a stick. It was metal, a small crest on its middle and what seemed like little carvings adorned it. The blue bird was also flying directly towards me. Staying glued to my spot, I waited till he breezily landed on my shoulder. He stared at me expectantly, as if telling me to do something. His eyes then trailed to my hand in silent command. I outstretched it curiously, he then dropped the object on my palm. Not even with a last glance, he went away with the wind into the forest—an ethereal view and almost picture worthy if I do say so myself. My eyes went back to the mysterious beauty of an object.

   Just how trained is that bird?

- - -

Angela's POV

   The loud banging in my head was what woke me up, and I couldn't help but to groan in annoyance when someone knocked on the door shortly after.

   Everyone seems to be against me sleeping today...

   Without much of a warning, Kayla stepped inside with her trademarked clipboard clutched to her side. I groggily turned and buried my face deep into the pillow. "Go away..." I muttered sourly.

She sighed and I heard her shuffle closer. She shook he slightly and said in an almost desperate tone, "Come on, wake up. All I need is to know how you're doing—Caleb hasn't told us anything new and he's out, so please just answer and you can go back to sleep." I exhaled and hesitantly turned to face her. Since I really didn't feel like speaking, because I'm still half asleep, I nodded for her to go on. Kayla smiled slightly and took a glance at her clipboard, clicking a pen as to be readying herself to write. "Okay..." she started, "how is your head? Anything serious?" She then added after my sarcastic look, "Other than the norm, of course."

I tilted my head and thought for a bit, then shook my head. "No, they come and go at random times. They last for—I don't know—a couple hours to a day, maybe?" I shrugged and leaned into the feather pillows.

Comfy.

She nodded and took note of it quickly before asking another question. "Coughing? How's that?"

I furrowed my eyebrows quizzically. "What do you mean? Caleb hasn't told you?"

Her expression scrunched into worry. Asking warily, she lowered her pen, "Told me what?"

Seriously? And he calls me lazy.

I sighed and looked at her reassuringly. "Lately, every time I cough, some blood comes out too."

Kayla blinked rapidly and sputtered all over the place, probably trying to understand everything. "Y-You...he—what?!?"

I hummed and nodded nervously—she looked like she was on the verge of breaking down. She's scary when she's like this—when people don't tell her things; or when they call her midget, she's just 5'4. I tried to calm her down by tightly grasping her wrists. "H-Hey...it only happened twice, s-so..." I laughed anxiously as her expression darkened.

Well, three of you want to be technical.

She muttered random incoherent things like, "...next time, I'll..." and, "...you're going to get it, you little..." Then something in her expression changed, as if something clicked. I took a closer look at her and realized what it was. It was pity—and I only hoped it wasn't directed at me. I loosened my grip, seeing as she was less tense.