Chapter 27 - Heart Surgery

When I finally surfaced it was a wonderful feeling. I took a long, glorious stretch under the covers, then my ears picked up what sounded like parchment along metal.

My senses told my body to freeze.

I knew that sound.

I sat up sharply, clutching the bedding to my chest and my eyes drank in the sight of Saizo sitting on the floor on the other side of the room, cleaning my katana.

The adrenaline now drenching my system narrowed my focus. Even though I had seen this ritual before, I still couldn't help but be captivated; my pulse banged at the sides of my temples as his elegant fingers caressed the blade as he concentrated on the task.

It was hypnotic.

"Hey there little lady." His tone was soft; his concentration not drifting from my sword.

"Thank you."

(Way to go Tamara, great use of language skills my inner eyes rolled in my head with an 'I'm with stupid' look)

I brought up my knees, feeling the past day's stiffness complain, and putting my arms back under the covers, I stretched my back as I hugged my knees, letting my head fall with a soft thud.

"I'm not doing this for you, I'm doing this for the blade."

His flat stare had returned, I could see his face in my head just from the tone.

Damn the man, he knew exactly how to be thoroughly exasperating. I extricated myself from the bedding, wrapped my robe tightly around me, muttering curses as I stood up.

"And where do we think we are going?" He still kept his eyes on my sword.

"Toilet, actually." I said, sharply sarcastic.

"Kizen will show you." And this time I heard myself squeak and jump as she materialised next to me.

She smiled vaguely, as if I was somewhat amusing and started to leave the room, so I turned to follow her, my bare feet at least sounding softer on the boards. The silence that surrounded me was almost visible it was so dense, and I tried to walk just lightly on the balls of my feet, gritting my teeth against my body's protests. I still broke the silence with each step.

Kizen checked the dressings she had done, and after having a chance to wash my face again and make some sense of my hair, I almost did a convincing cartoon tiptoe through the thick silence heading back.

Saizo now sat leaning against the corner of the back wall in his usual dark grey kimono, looking as if he had always been there. Kizen handed me a long drink of that tea type stuff and as I looked down into it, I saw the shimmered reflection of my own eyes; even to myself they looked glassy and tired. I sighed and slumped down on the bedding, then downed the drink, setting the cup aside. Whatever it was, whatever was in it, I felt myself relax into calm, despite the silence in the room.

In one fluid movement Saizo got up and was then sitting cross-legged at the end of the bedding. My relaxed self could barely follow his movements. I knew for certain now there must have been something in the tea, but I didn't seem to care.

"Tamara"

His voice was soft, seductive, and I felt powerless to do anything but seek his eyes. They seemed so captivating as gold flecks of fire shimmered deep within them. He slowly leant towards me and I instinctively drew away. His eyes just kept coming, I then realised I had fallen backwards on the bedding, not noticing his hand under my shoulders as I went.

I wanted to struggle, break away from the power of his eyes; it felt so desperate inside me, yet my body was only able to respond weakly.

Then I saw something I remembered, it seemed so long ago, so far away.