Chapter 22 - Trials and Voices

There hadn't been rain for ages, and as the day of the selection trials dawned, the air was parched even in the relative cool of the morning.

Ryo fussed like a mother hen, and Jin was brought out gleaming, showing his own pleasure in his appearance by prancing in Ryo's hand. Shinshoni had done my hair into a complicated series of braids, which would stay out of my way for the day. I ate as best I could, but with the whole castle feeling like a festival, the excitement caught me too. I knew I would ride to battle, but this day would decide on my place in the troop, and as the only woman present I was determined to shine.

Shinshoni was fascinated when I asked for a make-up box, I knew some eyeliner would reduce the glare of the day, but sorely wished for sunglasses.

Series of troops were mounting up and Ryo tried to give me some last minute advice on how brutish my fellow riders would be, but I was prepared for it.

Today would be short spear, long spear and the archers. There were horses everywhere and with Takeda Clan banners flying the fields, I went to find my troop. Most of them were in good humour, more amused at my presence than objectionable. A large camp row of screen windbreaks had been set up along the low rise for Lord Shingen and his elite to watch over the proceedings.

It felt like riding on a movie set, except for the catering, and a random want for a bacon sandwich crossed my mind, it was the only thing absent from this big equestrian event. The training grounds had been sectioned off for different disciplines, and I was looking forward to watching the archers, it was still a skill I would love to learn.

The sun was rising quickly, the training grounds dusty from the lack of rain, and I could feel a thin layer of it settling on my skin, making me feel sticky under the chest armour. Ryo appeared as if my magic to offer me a cup of water, he was a godsend. I had time for a bit of a warm up and then it would be our turn.

I could already hear cheers from the appreciative crowd as riders made their mark, and I admit I lost myself to the day, the warm sun, and the heartwarming sounds all around me.

Tent pegging was first, which I knew was my best skill - two mark sizes, four runs, four targets. As I jogged to the start it was like only Jin and I existed, we were a team, together in that moment and with our fourth mark made clean and true, applause erupted around us, so far I was in third place behind the troop commander.

It was awesome.

I dismounted to allow Jin a break whilst Ryo wiped him down and gave him water. I had just thrown half a bucket over myself when I happened to glance up to where Lord Shingen was sitting. He watched as the water ran off my armour and my hair and I had to turn away with a blush.

There were a few hearty thumps on my back from others in the troop, but I knew it would be the full weight mannequins that showed my lack of brute strength, and so went to find a quieter spot to watch and gather my thoughts.

The best shade was under the cherry tree that started all of this, but I felt nothing as I walked towards it, it was just a handy backrest. The bark was warm and comforting as I sat for a snack. From here I could see the archers and the short spear trials at once. It was thrilling but I found with it came a sense of belonging, despite the actual strangeness of the situation.

The heat increased, the air more laden with dust as the morning moved on. Ryo came and found me half dozing in the shade, and after a cool splash of water and a drink, the next trial was called up.

To make up for my lack of physical strength, Jin was going to have to move like lightning to have the momentum to take the mark, and I was going to have to be far more alert in order to pull the blade free. All was quiet as myself and three others went to the start line.