Chapter 3 - Blue - Colour of Fear

As I forced my way back to consciousness I was warm, no, I was burning up. My head felt like it contained a liquid brain and I realised I was sitting up.

No.

I was being held up sitting up.

No, that's not right either.

I was tied up into a sitting position.

My arms were bound around my back and there was a gag of cloth across my mouth. I felt rough fabric on my body and saw I was in a faded grey kimono, a simple sash around my waist, my ankle high trainers still on my feet.

The cold returned.

The cold of fear.

I raised my head to see Lord Kenshin turn; the concern I first saw on his face was gone, replaced by deadly intent like azure fire in their depths. It felt as if he burned into my soul. I think because of shock I was able to hold his gaze and no tears came. My heart just seemed to whimper in a corner.

He strode over and settled himself on the floor, fearsome in his beauty. Elegant fingers reached towards me, I could not flinch, I could not look away.

His eyes shifted as he held the pendant for a moment, then he sharply turned his head in response to a flurry of words behind him.

When he looked at me again he seemed to be fighting to stay controlled in his cold fury. My heart had the good sense to skip a beat.

"I know who you are." He said in a flat tone. "And I know how this –" He glanced at the pendant, "-works. You can understand me, yes?"

I nodded.

"You know who I am Lady Tamara?" The way he said 'Lady' made it sound distasteful in his mouth.

I nodded.

"Then you will also know that you are far from the sanctuary of Kai." Again, the word 'Kai' was almost spat from his mouth.

"Do you know what you have cost me?"

I blinked, confused, what was he talking about? I dropped my eyes from his gaze, struggling to understand what he meant. A hand roughly grabbed my chin, his hand was so large it wrapped around my jaws.

"Look.   At.   Me."

I was beginning to fight several battles at once inside my body and my mind. It felt like he could snap my neck with a casual flick of his wrist.

"Do you know how many deaths are on your hands? How many men, good men, brave men, have met their end because of you?"

I was drowning in confusion and fear. If I could only get to the pendant I could make this nightmare stop, but with my hands tied I was helpless.

Lord Kenshin inched forwards and I saw the screams of a thousand deaths in his eyes. He came in even closer and I struggled against the rope. He placed his other hand on my shoulder gripping me with such force I had to stop. I closed my eyes as his lips were near my ear and he whispered.

"The long spear."

My eyes shot open with disbelief as the memory of tent pegging with Lord Yukimura flashed past. 'This weapon has merit' He had said to me.

I never thought.

I never considered.

Oh my God, what have I done?

"Ah" Lord Kenshin said, sitting back a bit, letting my jaw go.

Frantically my mind was trying to work out what to do. Perhaps if I could bait him, he would take the pendant from me and I could get away from this place.

Somewhere I found some courage, I had no idea if I died here I would also die in my world, but if it made this stop, then at this point I didn't have much to lose. If I could just get control of my heart rate...

He instantly noticed the change in my eyes.

His eyes bored into mine, mine bored into his.

Lord Kenshin's features softened, he went to reach out ...

"KENSHIN!" A rough male voice made him jump. He got up and moved away out of my range. I could only guess the other voice was Kanetsugu, his Chief Retainer. I couldn't see anything but a wall in front of me now. There was the flurry of an argument then a hand slapped something like a desk.

I heard what sounded like barked orders, and then heard heavy feet approaching. They halted.

Kenshin and Kanetsugu appeared before me. Kenshin knelt down, Kanetsugu stood behind him, his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"This gives you understanding doesn't it."

I just stared at him.

"Just end this and be done with it." Kanetsugu went to draw his sword, but Kenshin put his hand up to stop him.

"No, let us build ourselves a Tiger trap." His deadly smile matched his eyes. "But I think I will keep your understanding for myself."

Lord Kenshin wrapped his hand around the pendant.

"OH YES!! Thank God!" I thought, "It's over! IT'S OVER!!"

He hesitated for a moment at the change in my expression, then pulled the pendant from my neck.

I closed my eyes, as relief washed over me...

And opened them to find I was still exactly where I was.

WHAT??

My mind reeled.

Heavy feet. Rough arms. I'm hauled to my feet.

In shock I stay limp.

There is talking right next to me. I can't understand a word.

How has this become worse?

HOW?

I'm literally dragged through corridors, twisting, turning; all I can focus on is the floor as it swims by. Then outside into cold air, the moonlight bright, a sky full of stars.

My heart has gone numb.

My mind blank.

I'm dragged into darkness, my hands freed for a moment then swiftly retied around something smooth and round. A beam? A column? A post? I'm pushed down roughly to the floor, back into a sitting position.

A stream of curses and mutterings swirls around me, then a hand grabs my hair, pulling my head back and another out of nowhere hits me hard across my face. I see stars, my eyes filling with tears, unable to make any more than strangling noises against the cloth across my mouth.

There's laughter and more muttering, a door sound.

And then silence.

Darkness and silence.

Darkness and silence and cold.