Chapter 12 - You Think I'm Weak?

I did indeed heal quickly, physically at least, I paid more attention as Lord Shingen met with various generals and retainers and began to work out places and terrain from the maps, and their battle planning was becoming clearer.

Because Lord Shingen kept me at his side most of the day, I only saw Yukimura a few times from a distance, Shinshoni was sweet and gentle, and never pressed me to answers, and I would spend time in the stables when I could.

The rare times I had time to myself I found sitting on the castle wall - the place Yukimura had brought me - the most peaceful. I could focus in on myself, build my inner strength and the walls in my mind became firm, the hold on my heart fixed. I suppose in hindsight it was a form of meditation, but that didn't occur to me at the time, it just felt, well, 'right'.

The small piece of parchment proved to be a puzzle, I thought it would be directions to somewhere, but I didn't recognise any of the symbols, it looked more like runes to me than script. I began searching through the maps to see if at least one of the symbols existed, and I'll admit I was starting to feel frustrated with myself for not being able to solve the riddle 'she' - whoever she was - had given me.

The day came when my arm and shoulder finally had healed to the point I could start riding again, it also meant I could start working out harder. I missed the gym but improvised, any step, any turn; anything during my day became a way of toning my body and fitness. Even under the desk looking at maps I would flex muscles, and I gained better tuning of my coordination in the process.

My hair was starting to show regrowth against the silver white blonde, which brought at least one laugh from me in the face of people's total lack of understanding. A bit mean I know, but that's how it was.

Just as I was about to prepare for bed one warm evening, a sharp rap at my door made me jump. I slid it open to see a retainer outside, almost in my face.

"Lord Shingen commands you to his chambers."

I sighed, what now? I wished I could just say 'bugger off'

"Give me a minute." I grabbed my cloak and put my boots back on before sweeping out ahead of the man. "The days are getting longer." I thought idly, sunset was only just beginning to colour the sky as we walked the network of verandahs.

As we approached Shingen's private chambers I could hear what sounded like an argument, which abruptly ceased at the sound of our feet on the boards.

"Lady Tamara." The retainer announced.

"Come in, come in." Shingen's voice boomed from the other side. The retainer slid the door open and I saw with some surprise Lord Yukimura was at his side. The air still bristled a bit in the room, I felt like I was walking into a den of overcharged testosterone.

Yukimura looked positively delighted to see me, with a huge smile on his face and in his blue eyes he stepped towards me, his arms looking suspiciously like he intended to hug me. I quickly took a back step, hitting the door while my eyes threw him a cold warning.

He stopped, looked to Lord Shingen and then back to me.

"It's good to see you Lord Yukimura, it's been some time." I tried to sound friendly, but kept the warning not to touch me in my eyes as I was speaking.

"Sit. Both of you." Shingen commanded, and as I settled, I watched a round of sake being poured. I politely took a sip, but had no intention of clouding my mind with alcohol; the two of them had already poured a refill as I set the cup down in front of me.

"You are well, Lady Tamara?" Shingen asked.

"Yes milord, fit and well ... and bored." I knew it was crossing a line, but it was honest.

Shingen's eyes flickered but he said nothing at my rudeness.

"I understand from Shinshoni that you have continued to study the blade in your time away from us."

I nodded; I thought Shinshoni would be reporting to her father, despite our apparent friendship.

"Lord Yukimura will continue your training, you will report to him every morning. In the afternoons you are free to regain your riding skills, your horse will be ready for you at a moments notice." He paused, drained his cup of sake, and Yukimura quickly refilled it.

"Your map studies ... " He took another large swig of sake, " You may take those to your room."

"Thank you Lord Shingen." I was delighted about one thing, the chance to look at the maps freely in my own time; perhaps I could solve the puzzle.

"Lady Tamara?" I realised I had been silent for a while.

"My apologies milord - Lord Yukimura -" I turned to face his confused features, "Are you sure training a woman will not be too difficult for you?"

My question totally threw him and his eyes opened wide, then narrowed, then he blushed, took a swig of sake and tried to look serious.

He failed.

Miserably.

I sighed and looked to Lord Shingen who was obviously enjoying the exchange. I leant forward to Yukimura, putting my face millimetres away from his and looked coldly into those bright blue eyes.

"Do you think I'm weak?"

He struggled under my gaze for a moment, then his eyes looked seriously back into my own.

"No Lady Tamara, you are not weak."

I nodded and sat back, asking Lord Shingen with my eyes for permission to leave, and again that strange accent in them, deep in the amber came and went.

Lord Shingen casually waved me a dismissal.

"Good night My Lords." I said as I swept out the door, and overheard Yukimura as I walked away saying:

"She's amazing."